Southampton Astronomer, Professor Anna Scaife, will be helping to design and build the world’s largest telescope.

The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) is going to be the largest and most sensitive radio telescope in the world and a member of Southampton University’s astronomy group will be part of a group of Scientists who will design and build it.

Under the current plans construction of the telescope will begin in 2018 and will consist of receivers across Australia and Africa. Its dishes and antennae (shown below) will collect detailed information on the large scale 3D structure of the universe.

The UK Science Minister described the project as  The world’s next great science project after the International Space Station and the Large Hadron Collider’  this was after he announced this week, that the UK government will be providing funding of £100M for the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) project.

The fact that one of our Professors has been chosen to be part of the specialised team working on such a project demonstrates how high the caliber of staff at Southampton is.

Professor Scaife has this to say about her new role ‘We are very excited to be a part of the SKA project, which will stretch technology to its limits. The science done by SKA will help us to address some of the fundamental questions in astronomy, and we will be able to use this inspiring facility to transform the way we understand the Universe.’