It has been a busy week of mid-season reviews for the Sports section of the Wessex Scene. After the University of Southampton Ladies Hockey Team let us know how their season was going so far, we got in touch with their counterparts in the Men’s Hockey team to see how their year was shaping up so far.

bg-hockey

Harry Beaven, University of Southampton Men’s Hockey Club Captain:

This season so far has seen the Wessex Men’s Hockey Club take part in some intense fixtures in both the Hampshire and BUCS leagues, with all teams fighting on a few fronts and still managing to compete at high levels.

Our First XI is currently sitting at the top of their Hampshire league with no losses, and each of the three strikers has collected 20 or more goals. This is a very strong position and we are expecting to gain promotion. This Saturday also saw their first Hampshire league cup game which was against a strong Havant 1s outfit, which contained a few national league players. They managed to overcome them 6-3, which will rank as a particular highlight of the season. In the BUCS league, the first team is currently sitting in 4th place having played some closely fought games with wins over Cardiff and Exeter by a mere goal boosting us after losses to teams from Cardiff and Exeter by a single goal as well. Look out for some big results in the coming games!

Our Second XI unfortunately has not been as strong as last year and the promotions gained have seen them pit their wits against stronger teams in higher leagues. They are yet to notch a BUCS win, but are in the same league as the 1st XI in the Hampshire league and are sitting comfortably in mid table.

The Third XI has again with promotion seen a tough start to the season but results have been picking up, and they are looking to push forward in their Hampshire league table. Sadly, they are still also yet to notch a win in their BUCS League, but hope to get a first win under their belt soon.

Happily, our Fourth XI have had particular success in Hampshire with some huge wins; most notably 16-3 last weekend with two players managing to find the net 5 times each. They are sitting in third place in their league so we are hoping for another potential promotion push here. They have had a moderate amount of success in their BUCS league, but expect to see much more from them in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, our Fifth XI are only competing on the Hampshire front, but are performing admirably. Sometimes struggling to get a team together, they are able to pull off positive results week in week out and Joshua Jamieson, the team captain, has proven more often than not that his team are more than just a social outfit!

Many thanks to Harry for his contribution.

Do you compete for a University sports team and have something to say? Has your season been going particularly well? Do you just want to get your club noticed? We want to hear from you! Email sport@wessexscene.co.uk and let us know what your University sport experience has been like this year.