For the first time in the club’s history, Southampton University Amateur Boxing Club entered its first national boxing competition held at Essex University this year. The event took place at the brand new Ivor Crewe lecture hall with a capacity of approximately 200 with 20 Universities in attendance over the weekends of 26/27th January and 2/3rd February.

boxing club

The first weekend of boxing saw Charlie Speechley and Chris Oldfield step into the ring. Speechley, fighting at middleweight, took on a fighter from Durham who he dominated from the start. With a piston-like jab Speechley asserted his authority and the damage of his punches was soon evident on the bloody face of his opponent. Another two rounds of mechanical straights slowly broke the will (and nose) of his adversary. Charlie won by unanimous decision.

Next was Chris Oldfield, fighting at Welterweight whose opponent hailed from Exeter University. Quick on his toes and with incredible hand speed Oldfield won the first, landing some sharp straight combinations. The second round saw Chris build on his lead, however, a wild right hook from the Exeter boxer sent Chris to the canvass for a standing eight count. Quick to recover, Oldfield came out in the third with a relentless flurry of punches, to which his opponent had no answer. Chris was victorious with a unanimous decision.

c oldfield boxer

The second weekend saw Adam Knight and Max Jenkins enter the ring at Light Heavyweight and Middleweight respectively. Knight took on a fighter from Manchester, and found success early with a powerful jab that landed almost every time. In the second, Knight consolidated his dominance, however, he received a nasty body shot and hook to the temple in the process. In the third, the Manchester lad came out fighting, but was suppressed with some big body shots and superior fitness from Knight. Adam won by unanimous decision.

Last to represent Southampton was Max Jenkins, fighting against a southpaw (notoriously difficult to fight) with 6 bouts more experience. In the first, Jenkins exchanged some rapid 1-2 shots with the cagey Portsmouth fighter. In the second Jenkins began putting some combinations together and connected with a straight right that forced the ref to administer his opponent with a standing eight count. The final round was a high paced, energetic battle that saw Jenkins land some precision straights and left hooks, but was tied up consistently by the clearly fatigued Portsmouth fighter. As the final bell rang the signal the end of the third there were emphatic cheers from both the Portsmouth and Southampton Camps. In the end the referee gave the victory to Portsmouth by majority decision.

Head Coach Paul Lacey, praised his boxers:

“SUABC has proved itself over the last two weeks and has sent a message out to all other universities: watch out!”

This commendation was echoed by the Amateur Boxing Association:

“Congratulations to all of the boxers who took part in this instalment of the EUBS; the standard of boxing over the two weekends has been very impressive.”

Southampton University Amateur Boxing Club’s next competition will take place on February 22nd at Golden Ring ABC in Millbrook, followed by a Fight Night against Portsmouth University held at Liquid & Envy nightclub in March.

If you are interested in giving boxing a try, beginner sessions take place on Fridays and Sundays 5-7pm at Glen Eyre Hall, of which your first session is FREE. For more information find us on Facebook by typing in SUABC or visit our website at www.southamptonuniversityboxing.com.

One Comment »

• Alex

Charley is a dream boat