After a very successful year in 2011-2012, both the University of Southampton’s Men’s Rugby and Women’s Rugby teams had high expectations for the 2012-2013 seasons. But could they match the glory of last year? The Wessex Scene has the latest on both teams’ seasons so far.

wide lane

Jonny Collin, University of Southampton Men’s Rugby:

After gaining promotion into Western 1A with a spectacular undefeated 2011/12 season, the 2012/13 season was always going to prove a challenge for the 1XV, a challenge made all the more difficult by a number of injuries, with key players suffering lengthy layoffs.

However, it has so far proven a challenge that the team has relished. Despite disappointing early losses to some exceptional UWE Hartpury and University of Chichester teams, the team was able to respond with some fantastic recent performances, most notably against a strong Swansea 2XV, against whom SURFC ran out comfortable 33-19 victors. This proved a catalyst for the team as they continued to play a brand of rugby typified by fast-paced attack play and an unrelenting defence; a progression that is testament to the talent and work ethic of both the club as a whole and the Head Coach, Junior Paramore.

The next upcoming home fixture is against UWE on the 20/02/13 and if you are able to make it down to Wide Lane for a 14:30 kickoff, then the team would massively appreciate your support.

If anyone would like to join the club, training times are as follows:
Monday 18:00-20:00 (Grids behind the Tennis Courts)
Tuesday 21:00-22:00 (Astro Turf)
Friday 18:00-19:30 (Grids/Gym/Astro)

Nikki Waghorn, University of Southampton Women’s Rugby Tour Sec:

Southampton University Women’s Rugby Club had one of its best seasons in history in 2011-12, winning the BUCS cup and finishing top of our league, resulting in a promotion.

Unfortunately, at the end of the season we lost some of our experienced players due to graduation, so we were all quite nervous for the start of the this year’s season  and the recruitment of new members. However, we had no reason to worry; we have acquired many new rugby ladies who are talented and committed, and who have become major components within the team and continue to make the game a pleasure to play.

So far we have managed to rise to the challenges we have faced from the new league; of particular note are our triumphs against Aberystwyth (35-0) and Bath (35-14). We have gone from having barely half a team and having to compete in a superior league, to gaining enough dedicated players who will hopefully drive us to more success!

Many thanks to Jonny and Nikki for their contributions.

Do you compete for a University sports team and have something to say? Has your season been going particularly well? Do you just want to get your club noticed? We want to hear from you! Email sport@wessexscene.co.uk and let us know what your University sport experience has been like this year.