Southampton take an early advantage and lead the BUKC after the first two rounds.

After finishing second in the British Universities Karting Championship Southern Qualifier in November last year, Southampton A had high hopes for this year’s championship. Rounds One & Two were originally scheduled for Buckmore Park on the 5th December, but snow cancelled the event and then caused February’s round at Warden Law to be moved to the Hertfordshire track of Rye House. This was where the championship slipped through Southampton A’s hands last year and the team were determined to make amends this time around.

jr_rye2013

James Robinson (3) carves his way through the field on his way to victory at Rye House.

With that in mind, James Robinson got the team off to the perfect start by turning his 11th place grid start into a win during the 25 minute sprint race. Last year’s captain, Dave Willacy, then took to the track starting third. He managed to fight a poorly performing kart into seventh place; whilst Stuart Wells climbed from sixth to third for the B team (see video, below). Next up was Bill Bye, known for his impressive drives through the field and starting 34th. After some superb battles he’d gained 23 places to finish eleventh. This was rounded off by another great drive from Scott Michaels who climbed from 26th to sixth and Southampton A claimed third overall for Round One behind two teams from Oxford Brookes.

Download Video from YouTube | Convert to MP3

The afternoon saw the hour-long endurance rounds where each university splits into two teams of two drivers. James and Dave were first up, starting on pole. After some great on-track battles and excellent pitstop work by the entire team, they came home third leaving the rest to Scott and Bill who would start last on the grid. Yet again, Southampton’s tactics and meticulous pitstop routine paid hugely as the two drivers were able to climb through the field gaining 33 places and finishing the race in third position. This secured Southampton’s first win of the season and means they currently lead the British University Karting Championship.

Southampton A take first place in Round 2.

The BUKC continues at the Welsh circuit of Llandow on the 3rd March, before moving on to Buckmore Park and Clay Pigeon Raceway throughout March.

For updates and race results, follow @SotonStig on Twitter.

For more information on the Wessex Motor Club, the university’s motorsport society, visit our Facebook page.

For more information on the British Universities Karting Championship, visit their website.