England may struggle to escape the group stages at the World Cup next year in Brazil.

2014 World Cup

Group D will consist of Uruguay, Italy and Costa Rica along with Roy Hodgson’s side next year in Brazil. Uruguay qualified last in their group while struggling against the weaker sides, but the English defence will be well aware of Luis Suarez’s capabilities at major tournaments in terrorising centre backs. Italy however led their group by some distance and qualified 5 points ahead of Denmark in second place, and the memories of defeat at EURO 2012 will be fresh in the mind for some in England’s squad. Costa Rica finished second in the CONCACAF group behind the United States and will mixed squad with plenty of experience in the side.

The typical dynamic of the World Cup Draw was different this year which saw the inclusion of Pot X. While all other pots contained both seeded teams and those organised on a geographical basis, Pot X was composed of the 4 seeded South American teams and designed to stop 3 European teams being drawn in the same group.

The full draw is as follows:

Group A

Brazil

Croatia

Mexico

Cameroon

Group B

Spain

Netherlands

Chile

Australia

Group C

Columbia

Greece

Ivory Coast

Japan

Group D

Uruguay

Costa Rica

England

Italy

Group E

Switzerland

Ecuador

France

Honduras

Group F

Argentina

Bosnia and Hercegovina

Iran

Nigeria

Group G

Germany

Portugal

Ghana

United States of America

Group H

Belgium

Algeria

Russia

South Korea

One Comment »

• Derek Stocker

Just found this Wessex Scene site after following the Southampton body parts story on the BBC. I had to comment and it is an inane comment. Just reminded me of happy years I had prior to emigrating to Rhodesia in 79. I was a proud Territorial Army soldier in the 2nd Btn The WESSEX Regiment TAVR, infantry!