With the festive period on the horizon, why not treat one of your loved ones to a new book to help digest their Christmas dinner? Here are a few tips on the best sporting literature around at the moment.

1. Undisputed Truth: My Autobiography by Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson’s life in the public limelight has been full of trials and tribulations, ranging from biting off Evander Holyfield’s ear to appearing in the recent Hollywood blockbuster, The Hangover. Despite his past discrepancies, which include bankruptcy and an extensive jail sentence, there is no doubt the 47 year old was one of the finest heavyweight boxers of his generation and is an undisputed great of the sport.

Mike Tyson and his autobiography

2. Alex Ferguson: My Autobiography by Alex Ferguson

The release that has sent controversial waves through the football world is not one to put down. Ferguson was notoriously outspoken during his sensational managerial career with Manchester United and the Scot shows no sign of changing his ways inside the book by launching criticism at various players, with Roy Keane and Steven Gerrard to name but a few. His rise to stardom with the ‘Class of 92′ and the 1999 treble success with the Red Devils means the greatest coach ever’s tale of triumph is certainly worthy of a read.

3. Andy Murray: Seventy-Seven: My Road To Wimbledon Glory by Andy Murray

It has been quite a year for Andy Murray, culminating with last weekend’s awarding of Sports Personality of the Year. This book tracks his progress throughout his career, focusing mainly on his success in the last two years which resulted in him ending one of Britain’s greatest hoodoos at Wimbledon in July. He might come across as grumpy, irritable and mundane but on the inside is a down to earth character fully committed to the task at hand. Any negative opinions of Murray will be extinguished after reading.

4. Always Managing: My Autobiography by Harry Redknapp 

One of the most experienced manager’s in Premier League history, albeit currently not managing in the top flight with Queen’s Park Rangers, has also not gone without controversy in his long career. Redknapp is renowned for various tax evasion offences and his stereotypical appearance on transfer deadline day, aside from being a top quality manager of numerous Premier League sides. He has also been heavily linked with the England job on more than one occasion.

harry

5. Running: The Autobiography by Ronnie O’Sullivan

One of the biggest characters in British sport over the last two decades, O’Sullivan is probably Snooker’s best ever player but, like the previous entries, this autobiography isn’t absent of scandal and controversy. The Rocket uses the book to digress from the sport, describing the tough times he had with drug and alcohol addictions, match fixing and various acrimonious displays during matches. He also uses it to pay homage to his loved ones for their incredible influence on his startling career.