As part of Wessex Scene’s series of interviews previewing this year’s Varsity matches, Adam Jones met up with first team footballer Richard Amofa to discuss their chances on March 9th.

How has this season gone so far for you as a team?

RA: It’s been a difficult season for us. We’ve had some ups and downs, but we know what we have to do in the last few games of the season. We always try and play football the right way, as opposed to other teams, and we always create chances. We just need to be more clinical and keep concentration at all times.

What would you say has been the highlight and where do you personally need to improve?

RA: I really enjoyed beating Winchester at home. In the earlier game they beat us 3-0; we didn’t turn up at all that day, so it was nice to beat them. They’re quite an aggressive team with some good players, but we got on the front foot early on and dominated the game. The only regret was that we didn’t win by more!

What was last year’s varsity like to compete in?

RA: I loved it to be fair. It doesn’t take much to be motivated to play against the likes of Portsmouth… I remember how I couldn’t sleep the night before! It’s nice playing in front of a big crowd, and even though we were away from home, the support we had was immense. Unfortunately we lost the game late on so hopefully we can turn that around this year.

Do you think something similar will happen this year?

RA: I expect quite a bunch of their team from last year will have graduated but we still expect a strong line up. We’ll have to be at our best no doubt.

What is it like to be involved in the Varsity experience?

RA: It’s always really enjoyable! It’s nice to play in front of a big crowd too. It’s a good experience because as opposed to a normal matchday, this was a whole day event. During the BUCS season we don’t always get a chance to watch our 2nds and 3rds or even those who compete in other sports so it was nice to cheer them on too.

How confident are you of victory this year?

RA: I’m always confident in every game I play in, and so are the boys. Portsmouth are a good side. They’re organised, fit and they play good football. It will be a good test for us. They are beatable, though. We beat them in a close game during pre-season and we’ll use that as confidence to beat them again this time round.

SUFC footballers

More articles in Varsity Previews
  1. Varsity 2014 Preview: Tennis
  2. Varsity 2014 Preview: Men’s Football
  3. Varsity 2014 Preview: Ladies Lacrosse
  4. Varsity 2014: Southampton Take an Early Lead
  5. Varsity 2014 Preview: Men’s Rugby
  6. Varsity 2014 Preview: Women’s Basketball
  7. Varsity 2014 Preview: Men’s Hockey
  8. Varsity 2014 Preview: Women’s Hockey
  9. Varsity 2014 Preview: An Interview with VP Sports Evan Whyte