David Moyes has been sacked as the manager of Manchester United without the completion of one season with the Club. It has been stated that former Manchester United player Ryan Giggs will be taking over for the time being.

David Moyes is sacked as Manchester United manager, failing to complete one season

Throughout the entire season, Moyes has been unable to lead Manchester United to success, suffering a total of 11 defeats, 6 of which occurred at home. These defeats include those against United’s fiercest rivals, Manchester City, and Liverpool, the current league leaders. It appears that this week’s 2-0 defeat to Everton, Moyes’ former club, seemed to be the last straw for the Glazer family, United’s American owners.

A statement was released on the Club’s website saying:

“Manchester United has announced that David Moyes has left the Club.”

The website has also revealed that Ryan Giggs will be taking over the managerial role, saying:

“Following the departure of David Moyes as manager, Manchester United has announced that Ryan Giggs, the club’s most decorated player, will assume responsibility for the first team until a permanent appointment can be made.”

Ryan Giggs will be taking over as manager for the time being

Despite Manchester United’s poor form throughout the season, intensified speculation of Moyes’ departure started to occur this week as their loss to Everton and consequential 7th position in the Premier League table made it impossible for the Club to qualify for the UEFA Champion’s League, a qualification which they have achieved every year since 1991.

It is known that David Moyes was specifically chosen to take over by United’s former manager Sir Alex Ferguson, who guided Manchester United to winning 13 Premier League titles and 2 UEFA Champion’s League titles. However, it is now currently unknown who will be permanently taking over as manager, although names including Jurgen Klopp, manager of Borussia Dortmund, and Diego Simeone, manager of Atlético Madrid, have been mentioned due to their continued and current success.