It has been confirmed that the British number one Laura Robson will miss this year’s French Open and Wimbledon. The young tennis starlet is set to undergo an operation on her problematic left wrist at the Mayo Clinic in the US.

Robson’s first-round defeat to Kirsten Flipkens at the Australian Open was the only competitive match the twenty year old completed this year. Not being ready for Wimbledon will surely come as a huge disappointment to the left-hander who reached the last sixteen in 2013.

In December Robson was forced to withdraw from the ASB Classic in New Zealand due to a pain in her left wrist. It has been a recurring problem for the current world number 64 who also missed the Rogers Cup last August, the only difference being she suffered the same stress in her right wrist.

Maria fought back from a really tough injury. Her injury was a lot more serious than Laura’s, so I don’t think they’re comparable. It’s not easy for any athlete, but Laura’s been pretty good through this. I’ve been impressed. I’ve been through it with Maria and I know it’s not easy.

Max Eisenbud
Agent of Robson and Australian Open champion Li Na. Former manager of Sharapova

Hopefully she can make a return that eases her in gradually, in order to make a successful comeback in 2015. Robson recently added Colombian Mauricio Hadad, who assisted in training Maria Sharapova to win Wimbledon in 2004, to her coaching team.

However it must be noted that once she is ready to compete, Robson will have the huge task of rebuilding her world ranking. To begin with, the most important events will evade her reach, as she will not be ranked high enough to gain a place in such competitions.

Though British tennis fans look forward to her comeback, it remains to be seen how the Melbourne born Robson will perform on a lesser stage.