It was a weekend to remember for the Southampton University Rifle Club as they took home the Scotman Trophy for the 5th year running and 8 gold medals at the BUCS Smallbore Rifle Championships.

SURC 1

For both Quartets and Pairs categories, the SURC A team clinched gold while the B team achieved silver, achieving a respectable 4th in the competition overall.

The ladies A triad showed their skill as well and won the Triad trophy, with Jen Barber coming 2nd in the Ladies individual, only just losing out to a Scottish international.

After the BUCS competition, 5 of the SURC team helped to secure a win for England against Scotland in an international match.A  special mention should also go to Jen Barber for receiving 5 medals (most on the day) and to Katie Sullivan for achieving 4 Gold medals and captaining the winning England team.

Club treasurer and captain on the day Mike Bargeron said:

The team put in a great effort, despite the horrendous weather conditions, and proved the hard work and training paid off! It was a great experience for new members and all round a great day for the team. And of course, winning all of the medals and trophies for another year running just added to a very enjoyable day.

VP Sports Development Evan Whyte went on to praise SURC for their performance at the event:

“The club have performed extremely well this year and it looks like we have the best University Rifle Club in the country yet again!”

Congratulations SURC!

SURC 2

2 Comments »

• Mr. Pun

Whoever thought of that pun should be shot…

Joe Taylor

It was a bit of a shot in the dark, to be honest.