Southampton University Rifle Club On Target at BUCS Championships

It was a weekend to remember for the Southampton University Rifle Club as they took home the Scotman Trophy for the 5th year running and 8 gold medals at the BUCS Smallbore Rifle Championships.

For both Quartets and Pairs categories, the SURC A team clinched gold while the B team achieved silver, achieving a respectable 4th in the competition overall.

The ladies A triad showed their skill as well and won the Triad trophy, with Jen Barber coming 2nd in the Ladies individual, only just losing out to a Scottish international.

After the BUCS competition, 5 of the SURC team helped to secure a win for England against Scotland in an international match.A  special mention should also go to Jen Barber for receiving 5 medals (most on the day) and to Katie Sullivan for achieving 4 Gold medals and captaining the winning England team.

Club treasurer and captain on the day Mike Bargeron said:

The team put in a great effort, despite the horrendous weather conditions, and proved the hard work and training paid off! It was a great experience for new members and all round a great day for the team. And of course, winning all of the medals and trophies for another year running just added to a very enjoyable day.

VP Sports Development Evan Whyte went on to praise SURC for their performance at the event:

“The club have performed extremely well this year and it looks like we have the best University Rifle Club in the country yet again!”

Congratulations SURC!

Professional moaner and student of Politics. Twitter - JTaylor704