The start of May and the inevitable rain that accompanies it can only mean one thing; the start of the cricket season. Ahead of what looks like a promising few months for the SUCC teams, Wessex Scene received this preview from the Men’s 1st team.

Captain: Max Backhouse

Having notoriously failed to perform for fast approaching three years, Backhouse has somehow gained the first team captaincy. Jokes aside, the all-rounder could be key to establishing a good team ethic early on.

Key player: Rob Willway

Despite being the most lethargic man in Hampshire, Willway is undeniably talented and has the ability to turn any game on its head with his powerful batting and part time off-spin.

League: BUCS Premier B South

This is the highest league for top universities in the South, including some very strong sides such as Oxford and Cardiff Metropolitan.

Pre-season so far:

An early game against Solent was anything but a success with Willway’s 70 the only performance worth mentioning. With 2 games called off already, the only other game played was a demolition of club side Middleton CC. After bowling them out for 88 thanks to the world’s slowest opening bowler Matt Warner hitting his stride, Premal Patel tore them apart taking 5-11.

First game:

Bristol at home (Andover) on 7th May. Bristol won their first game but let’s see how they go on a cold damp Wednesday in Andover.

Team Chances:

The heavy reliance on three pronged spin attack of Josh Aston, Ashley Sivarajah and Premal Patel plus a host of part timers may seem more suited to a dusty track in Mumbai than a damp May wicket in Andover but previous seasons have seen spin play a key part in BUCS cricket. Promotion looks out of reach for the team but relegation should be an equally unlikely outcome.

To keep up to date with all the cricket scores and fixtures please visit: http://southamptonuniversity.hitscricket.co.uk/news/default.aspx