The cricket season is back and ahead of a potentially very prosperous few months for SUCC, Wessex Scene received this preview from the Men’s 2nd team.

With many of last year’s regulars having graduated, 2014 is all change for the SUCC 2nd XI and it would be hard to find a Southampton BUCS side more reliant on its sizeable fresher contingent. After a comfortable mid-table finish in 2013, the side will be aiming to push on this year for the promotion places. Key to that aim is the opening league match of the season against Bristol. Bristol and Southampton traditionally play out nail-bitingly close games, and with Bristol having built up their programme with scholarship athletes and with two BUCS wins already on the board their confidence will be high. However, a visit to the soggy environs of Wide Lane is cricket’s equivalent of a cold night at the Britannia and so all visitors can be sure to face a tough examination at Wessex’s hands.

Key to the 2nd XI’s success this year will be the performance of the top order batsman. Particularly at Wide Lane, a batsman occupying the crease for a prolonged period of time is crucial and that job will fall to the experienced George Sanderson, who has seemingly been part of the club since Southampton gained University status in 1952. The in-form batsman is Jayden Clark, who started his Wessex career with back to back fifties and we can only hope that this continues. In the bowling department, perpetual tourist Will Bateman has been the strike bowler so far this year, while the task of squeezing the run rate will be left in the incredibly negative hands of captain and Ashley Giles impersonator Chris Royals and medium pacer Conor Jones. So far this year the side’s fielding has been very strong after good pre-season work which is vital, as, if you’ll forgive the cliché, catches win matches.

After back to back victories over the bank holiday weekend, the 2s go into the BUCS season full of confidence and ready to take on all comers in the South West.

To keep up to date with all the cricket scores and fixtures please visit: http://southamptonuniversity.hitscricket.co.uk/news/default.aspx