Ahead of the new cricket season, Wessex Scene received this preview from the Mens 3rd XI detailing pre-season plans and what they expect in the upcoming months.

The Skipper: Jonny Coates

Jonny will captain the 3s this season, leading from the front by opening the batting then guiding the team from behind the stumps. With his incredible banter and quick thinking, the team should fly through the season.

New Players: Adi Subramanian

The man dubbed the ‘Submarine Man’ looks likely to deliver consistent bowling spells this summer, working with Will Farrant to skittle any batsmen that stand in the way of promotion. Greg Wise has shone brightly in the nets and is firmly expected to illuminate the league with his sparkling array of shots. Jon ‘The Ferret’ Perrett will hopefully turn heads with his left-arm off spinners and while Alex Stansfield is also tipped to perform well.

The League:

After relegation last season, morale sits low for the daring 3s as they enter the lowest tier of BUCS cricket. Like Buzzlightyear, Coates hopes to lead the 3s to infinity and beyond.

Ones to watch: Jonny Coates

His recent form with the bat should lead to strong opening partnerships this year with Ben Callow in support. Aylon Wijaiyarajah’s electrifying power hitting alongside ‘the international superstar’ Siegfried Wai and Adam Hudson will bring quick runs in the middle order.

Fixtures:

The huge number of friendly matches arranged should see the 3s enter BUCS matches with confidence and flare. One key fixture is Plymouth away, the minibus journey hopefully not fatiguing the players too much. Another is the much anticipated 3s v 4s match at Wide Lane. This promises to be a cracking derby, with all to lose for the 3s players. Our best wishes go to Roy Head and his team ahead of this match. Good luck boys.

To keep up to date with all the cricket scores and fixtures please visit: http://southamptonuniversity.hitscricket.co.uk/news/default.aspx