Ahead of an eagerly anticipated cricket season, Wessex Scene received this preview from the Men’s 4th team casting their eye over previous years and who could be the stand out performers in the next few months.

On the day prior to the start of pre-season training, the 4th XI had a fixture against Totton and Eling.  A combination of bad weather and a few poor performances meant that the last victory for the 4th team came almost two seasons ago; a statistic that captain Roy Head did not want continuing. The game was a tense encounter that saw SUCC emerge victors by one wicket.

As a result there was a positive mood around the 4th team and, in particular, those players who had played in the fixture going into pre-season training week.  Many of the players who performed well against Totton could expect promotion into the 3s over the coming season. Combined with the quality of players that were yet to take part in an outdoor fixture the future of Squad 2 seemed bright.

Pre-season week progressed well with everyone making strong claims to be selected for up-coming matches.  With the bat, Luke Coles continued to impress following a debut half century against Totton, while Joel Webb also demonstrated a solid and dependable approach.  From a bowling perspective, Harry Dobson showed real aggression and control to put him at the front of the 4th XI seam attack whilst Rob Gill, following an impressive indoor season, aimed to transfer that form into the outdoor season.  Fielding practice was taken to with just as much fervor with standout performers from Max Winpenny, Will Farrant and Edd Foster. The team’s hopes may also hinge on how much game time “talented” veteran Andrew Wooding gets and if he actually manages to get the ball to pitch.

Looking ahead to the season, the most notable fixture is the 3s v 4s BUCS game on the 7th May.  The game promises to have plenty of sub plots with the 4s looking to cause an upset. This fixture, along with other league matches and interspersed with friendlies against local sides suggests a productive season for the 4th team.

To keep up to date with all the cricket scores and fixtures please visit: http://southamptonuniversity.hitscricket.co.uk/news/default.aspx