The name Freya Jones may not be familiar to many, but that could soon change for the 20 year old javelin thrower who hails from Chandlers Ford. At 5’10 the young athlete will be looking to grow on the international stage with success at this year’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, with the opening ceremony taking place this Wednesday.

The Southampton AC athlete has had to endure a tough couple of years, injuries being a natural product of the strain involved with javelin throwing. Though Jones has only been able to compete at similar levels sparingly, she has had a revival thanks to her time at the University of Georgia. Jones’ twitter profile lists herself as an ‘Aggressive stick flinger, 2016 dreamer and nutella lover’. Perhaps 2014 should be included in there. Outdoors, this year, she has launched a throw of 181 feet, 7 inches which was a personal best and helped her triumph in the Spec Towns Invite competition in the U.S.

Freya Jones

Jones highlighted her talent on American soil last summer by achieving a pb of 54.95 metres at the National Collegiate Championships in Eugene, Oregon. More or less a year on from that introduction and having overcome niggling back stresses, the Hampshire born starlet usurped that throw with a pb of 55.36 metres.

Such a distance rose above the Commonwealth Games qualifying requirement. Now Jones will link up with 32 year old and number 1 ranked Goldie Soyers as well as 22 year old Izzy Jeffs of North Devon. Soyers provides huge talent and a wealth of experience for Team England, having finished sixth at the Manchester 2002 games.

Manchester 2002 Commonwealth Games were hosted at what is now The Etihad Stadium

All the best of luck to Freya and hopefully she does Southampton and the nation proud!

Jones will be part of the Team England line up which includes the likes of Louis Smith and Tom Daley