What will you be wearing this winter? Welcome to the Winchester round-up of all this season’s new looks. Autumn/Winter 12 is oozing with rich colour and lavish details. Winter florals, eye-popping prints and head-to-toe leathers have brought a new luxe feel to the catwalk and now to your wardrobe. Once again, old ideas are abandoned and designers take us in a fresh direction, catwalks saw the rise of oversize garments and tomboy tailoring. This season is about over-indulging in opulent details and full-on gothic glamour. And I promise there’s a trend for you whatever your budget or style.

The Maximalist

This trend is perfect if you’re not afraid of a little embellishment – or a lot of it for that matter. ‘More is more’ with this trend. It’s about indulging in metallic embroidery, silvers and golds, and statement jewellery. Another way to wear this trend is to layer up with over-the-top prints. Head to Miss Selfridge to find key pieces for this trend on the high street. If full-on sparkle isn’t really for you, try an accessory piece instead. Freedom by Topshop jewellery has some fantastic pieces to brighten up a simple outfit- perfect for a definitive nod to the trend.

Eye-popping Opticals

A trend that’s not for the faint-hearted. This autumn exhibits a new print catalogue. After seasons of feminine digital artwork, this season presents us with bold geometric shapes, kaleidoscopic optical illusions and bold repetitive patterns. Seen mostly on the catwalk in the form of trouser suits and tailored coats, you can find this trend on the high street in Warehouse, who have some fantastic printed pieces this season. Try this trend on simply cut pieces and pair with modest accessories. (The print is loud enough on its own so don’t over-dress it).

Gothic Glamour

Quite simply, black leathers. If there was ever a time to dip into a little gothic beauty, this season is the time. The February catwalks exhibited luxe, glossy black leathers which offered a sleek and powerful take on the season’s decadent air. Buying leather doesn’t have to be scary, and buying the right piece can be an investment. A good quality leather jacket will last you a good few seasons! Be careful when styling leather; minimal jewellery in a must. Keep necklines and wrists free from over-bearing accessories and let the rest of your outfit talk for you.

Winter in Bloom

Florals in winter? Yes! It’s a perfect trend for those of you missing the summer sunshine. The catwalks were full with perfectly cultivated printed fabrics, but think less girly and more powerful.  This trend is about rich darker colours in purples, reds, blues and blacks. You can choose to fully indulge in head-to-toe florals if you wish, or perhaps choose an accessory piece. Think floral print ankle boots at Erdem, or embroidered floral bags at Dolce and Gabanna. For those with a more classic style, this trend is a great opportunity to add a little fun and colour to your wardrobe. H&M have some fantastic floral pieces this autumn which are great for those on a budget.  Printed chiffon shirts are perfect for those with a feminine style, or for the more adventurous amongst you, try the purple floral print leggings modelled by Lana Del Ray in the Autumn/Winter 2012 look book.

The Rise of Oversize

Big is beautiful this winter; think boyfriend fit coats, pillow sleeved jackets and wide leg trousers. But be careful with this trend, as it can look frumpy if it’s not styled well. Contrast volume with a slim line structure by styling opposites together.

Countryside Alliance

The February catwalks saw designers taking inspiration from all the country classics, working with tweed, corduroys and plaid. The easiest way to wear this trend is through simple structure tailoring. Think tailored jackets and blazers in utility fabrics and earthy colours. These can be matched up easily with most outfits, and can be worn casually or with more formally styled combinations.  Jackets like these are a high street favourite this season so it just depends on how much you’re willing to spend and where you shop. Pair up with a simple white shirt for a simple, sophisticated look.

The Power of Purple

Purple was undoubtedly the colour of the collections in February, and now it’s the colour of the season. It’s a colour of passion and luxury, and this winter it will be worn by everyone. Perhaps it’s not everyone’s favourite colour, but I’m not suggesting divulging into full-length purple leopard print with leather trims (courtesy of Christopher Kane). Wear this trend with subtle sheer fabrics or choose a statement piece such as an oversized bag, shoes, or jacket. River Island is the easiest place to shop this trend on the high-street; try a peplum top in purple paired with a slim-fit trouser and cover two trends in one outfit.

Illustration by Zahra Warsame