Tashi Goldring is a second year student at Winchester School of Art studying Printed Textiles. I interviewed her to find out about her latest project and future plans:

Tashi is currently working on a project inspired by Historical Chinese floral designs from the 18th century. She is exploring this theme within interiors and the work is hand painted in great detail and on large scales. However, she wants to add a modern twist to this old century concept.

Over the Summer, Tashi was on various work experience placements to get an insight into the industry she wants to progress onto. This gave her invaluable, firsthand knowledge of working in the industry. Her first summer placement was at Watts of Westminster; a company specializing in unique interior textiles and wallpaper.

“I got really useful industry experience helping on their stand at Decorex – an annual industry show for the latest in interior design.”

She also interned at the fashion and costume department in the Victoria and Albert museum. This gave her a chance to learn more about the history of fashion design, to inspire her own work in more historical depth.

As a second year student, Tashi would advice all first years interested in printed textiles to take regular trips to museums and exhibitions to keep up to date with the latest Designers and to gain a wealth of artistic knowledge. She also encourages you to keep drawing, collecting colour and fabric swatches and anything else that inspires you, for future projects.

With regards to her future, Tashi wants to gain more experience with designing printed textiles for either fashion or interiors within the industry. She hopes these experiences will enable her to run her own design company, in which she wants to travel the world, exploring other cultures in order to get inspiration and design contemporary pieces.

Check out Tashi’s website: tashigoldring.tumblr.com

More articles in Artist Showcase
  1. Artist Showcase: Robin Celebi
  2. Artist Showcase: Oliver McAinsh
  3. Artist Showcase: Michael Davies
  4. Artist Showcase – Piero Regnante
  5. Artist Showcase: Elicea Andrews
  6. Artist Showcase: Bronwen Rees
  7. Artist Showcase: Nicola Manuel
  8. Photographer Chris Tang Reveals Exciting Opportunity
  9. Artist Showcase: Tim Metcalf
  10. Artist Showcase: Chris Burger
  11. Those Old Home Videos
  12. Fashion Showcase: Tashi Goldring