As you may have recently learnt, the Winchester School of Art has reached the list of the top ten art schools in the UK, entering at 7th place.

wsa

According to The Guardian’s University Guide of 2015, the art school in question has stepped up 18 places from 25th to 7th place for Fine Art and Graphics and 16 places from 25th to 9th for Fashion and Textiles, making the Winchester School of Art a leading institution in the various fields of design.

So why such the vast increase in reputation? What has made the Winchester School of Art succeed in rank? According to The Guardian, 89 percent of students were satisfied with the teaching, facilities and overall atmosphere of the school and its surrounding environment. Now as a fellow WSA student, I can thoroughly agree with this 89 percent. The school is incredibly facilitated with hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment and advanced professional machinery, not to mention the accommodation of one of the leading artist libraries in the UK.

su-40298

Speaking as a Fine Art student here at WSA, the artist studios are beautifully large and spaced out, creating a perfect working atmosphere for painters, printmakers and sculptors alike. They are such enjoyable spaces to work in, surrounded by young artists who are all producing or engaging in spectacular art. The group critiques are additionally constructive and are held every week with exceptional tutors, mine being London-born artist Stephen Cooper, whose work was proudly exhibited in Winchester Cathedral during the Creative Collisions city event last autumn.

To anyone who is contemplating on attending the Winchester School of Art, let me point you in the direction of the beauty of the city perhaps? Winchester has a thriving artistic culture, with various exhibitions and events circulating the central district. The city’s rich history, being the former capital of Britain, is definitely a focal point in its popularity, its local landmarks reaching as far back as the Iron Age. Winchester is a wonderful place to live and I have indeed enjoyed studying here over the course of my degree, inspiring many a painting.

In relation to the Winchester School of Art, its governing institution the University of Southampton has risen by five places, from 24th to 19th out of 116 British universities.