The Winchester Discovery Centre is playing host to the famous ‘Walthamstow Tapestry’, made by one of Britain’s foremost artists, the wonderful Grayson Perry.

WalthamstowTapestry

The tapestry in question explores the depths of the emotional sonority of company brands and their distinct impression on our lives. This notion is artistically interpreted through the “charting of man’s passage from birth to death” on an antique batik fabricated tapestry, consistently covered in a great myriad of brand names that influence our everyday existence.

Having seen ‘The Walthamstow Tapestry’ for myself at the Winchester Discovery Centre on Jewry Street, I can thoroughly say this particular exhibit is a ‘must-see’ and comes highly recommended. The array of colour is magnificently captured within the delicately stitched illustrations, the tapestry itself coming across as immensely bold and emotive. If anything there is not much that I do not appreciate about this beautiful tapestry. It is just simply extraordinary. The attention to detail is just incredibly fine and is a wonder to visually study upon close inspection.

Grayson Perry CBE, when formerly asked about the meaning and origin behind the tapestry, stated “I chose the brands that resonate with me, that I feel are impinging on my life, so in a way it’s a bit of a self-portrait”.

Perry’s ‘The Walthamstow Tapestry’ is being exhibited in The Gallery at the Winchester Discovery Centre from 17th May to 6th July 2014, so please grab the opportunity to see it!