RAG Focus: Raising money and Volunteering for Barnado’s

0

Raise and Give is the Student Union’s fundraising wing for charity. Each year, the committee chooses a variety of charities to raise money for. These charities are either UK based or international. One of the charities money is being raised for this year is Barnado’s. RAG managed to raise £707.40 on a recent “RAG raid” in the centre of Southampton while in fancy dress attire.

Grace Allingham, the Union’s RAG officer, posted on the Union website that “The day was a resounding success, with the good people of Southampton in a particularly benevolent frame of mind”.  The amount raised by students is proof that volunteering is very much alive and well within the university, especially when it comes to raising money for charity.

As well as raising money for Barnado’s through raise and give, students can also directly involve themselves with the charity by volunteering. The reasons students may want to volunteer are ranging, from a desire to improve the CV, give “something back” to society, to meet new people and learn new skills or possibly just to fill up some time. What is a common theme people will find when volunteering for Barnado’s is agreement with the mission of the charity.

The Barnado’s website states that the charity “believes in children regardless of their circumstances, gender, race, disability or behavior…We do this because we believe that every child deserves the best start in life and the chance to fulfill their potential.” The work of Barnado’s varies; they deal with many “big” social problems such as drug misuse, homelessness, child poverty and violence. Barnado’s currently runs 415 projects across the UK.

There is also an emphasis on using research based evidence to lobby and campaign public policy in the United Kingdom and abroad. These campaigns range from Child Poverty to trafficking of young people.

Barnado’s is a charity which deals with some very emotive issues. While the website doesn’t list any local projects going on in Southampton, there are a number of Barnado’s representatives who are planning to run projects to highlight the campaigns of the charity throughout the year.

If you would like to get involved with Barnado’s, you can do so by fundraising through RAG (search SUSU RAG on facebook) or view their student volunteering page here:

http://www.barnardos.org.uk/get_involved/students.htm