Amnesty International’s 50th Anniversary

0

Since its beginning in 1961, Amnesty International has been at the forefront of campaigning for human rights worldwide. This April marks their 50th Anniversary, with our university’s Amnesty Society hosting a number of events this month in an attempt to not only fundraise, but to raise awareness of their causes, and get others involved.

Founded originally in defence of two Brazilian students who were imprisoned for raising their glasses to freedom, Amnesty has gone from strength to strength in the last fifty years. From its humble beginnings, it now has an incredible 2.2 million members in over 150 countries around the world.

Its original aim was to establish ‘a permanent international movement in defence of freedom of opinion and religion’. During the last half a century it has continued this task, with representatives travelling around the world to investigate and campaign on behalf of those who cannot.

Southampton University is part of this movement, and they are always looking for new members to join in and discover what they can practically do to make a difference in the world.

This month Amnesty are really pushing to get more people involved in their cause, with an eclectic range of events, from a showing of either Blood Diamond or The Shawshank Redemption (still being hotly debated within the society), to an Open Mike night.

It’s not just about giving or raising money. It’s about raising awareness for ourselves and others, and not being ignorant about the horrific situation many innocent people find themselves in. Through petitions and campaigns Amnesty tries to show dictators, governments and those who are mistreating others that the international community will not stand for it. You being a part of this is one more voice that can be heard, and one more name on a list which could potentially save lives.

For times and updates to this month’s events please go to:

www.facebook.com/susuamnestyi