10 Signs that Christmas is Coming!

0

Make sure you check out the ice rink and German Christmas market outside Bargate

The end of term is fast approaching and that means only one thing- Christmas is almost here! But how do we know this? What else is increasing our excitement for it and making those end of term assignments that little bit more bearable?

1. The Coca Cola advert comes on TV

Santa delivering coke in a big red truck? Yes please! The first sign for many people that the ‘season to be jolly’ is coming round again.

2. Coffee shops start to use their ‘Christmas cups’

Starbucks, Costa Coffee and the like bring out their festive cups to drink from as well as new ‘Christmassy’ beverages such as ‘Gingerbread Latte’ to drink and mince pies to munch on!

3. You can’t find a birthday card anywhere

All the shops that used to have such a wide variety of cards are now reduced to ‘Seasons greetings’ ‘Merry Christmas’ or ‘Happy Holidays’ and finding a card for anything else becomes a hard task.

4. You spend less time doing work and more time thinking about all things Christmassy

Whether its decorating your flat with tinsel and paper chains, organising your trips to the ice rink at Bargate, cooking a flat Christmas dinner, Christmas shopping in West Quay and the Christmas market, or browsing the internet for gift ideas, there seem to be a lot more opportunities for procrastination once it hits December.

5. Christmas songs are everywhere

“Do they know it’s Christmas time at all?” We certainly do with ‘Now Xmas’ spouting out from shops, cars and our flatmates bedrooms.

6. Brussel sprouts appear in the shops

Not only Brussel Sprouts, but also satsumas seem to increase in quantity in the lead up to Christmas. Of course this is along with the unhealthy ‘seasonal goods’ that also line the aisles of ASDA, such as chocolate, crisps, mince pies, shortbread and sweets.

7. Eating chocolate for breakfast becomes normal

Opening a door to a piece of chocolate every morning certainly makes those 9am lectures just that little bit easier to deal with.

8. The dark streets of Southampton become lit up

Fairy lights lining the streets, a Christmas market and ice rink outside Bargate and lights in the trees on campus, Southampton becomes a lot prettier during the holidays.

9. You turn into a child at the sight of the smallest snowfall

The chance to build a snowman, have snowball fights with rivalling blocks in your halls and the possibility of missing lectures is definitely way too much excitement to handle in one go.

10.You get in contact with your old friends from home and start planning your ‘reunion’ parties

Now that term is almost over, you start to plan what you will do without your university life and the idea of long catch ups and partying with friends and family you haven’t seen since October makes you sometimes wish it would come around quicker.

So now that all the signs are pointing to it, remember that it truly is the season to be jolly and enjoy yourself!