The Blame Game

0

Bankers.  Journalists. Politicians. Priests. Rioting Teenagers. You name it, we’ve blamed them.  Blaming people in our society is not an uncommon practice; nor is it something we do with great reluctance, it is something we revel and thrive upon. Why is it so that tabloids constantly scream headlines of cheating footballers, greedy bankers and dodgy politicians? For the simple fact, that it sells. The British population love nothing more than reading about a person’s misconduct and wrongdoing while sitting on their smug high horses.

It is certainly not a new phenomenon. It seems that recent events have triggered a constant production of these blaming rituals. You would assume that these events such as the Expenses scandal of 2009 and the Hacking Scandal 2011 would make people question the state of our society; to look inwardly and contemplate how the people who are supposed to be of the strongest moral worth  instead abuse their own position.

However, the blame game isn’t as complex as that. In fact, it is very straightforward and shallow. So why do we do it? What productive worth do we achieve when we excessively read about the latest Chief Executive accepting a million pound bonus? It is because at our very core society is judgmental by nature and it wouldn’t have it any other way. In a sense, blaming gives ordinary people a fundamental feeling of self worth. They may earn millions pounds a year; they may have considerable more intelligence than me, they may possess more power than me but because of their actions none of them possess the moral worth I have. Especially amongst people who didn’t get an adequate education or have a well paid job, the feeling of helplessness from their circumstances can be cancelled out  by the power to blame.

It seems this negative culture of condemnation and denunciation is something that won’t change anytime soon.  There is a current process in which blaming is circulated from one group to another.  Newspapers were on the verge of hysteria when the Expenses scandal came out with headlines gleefully describing how Duck ponds, pornographic films and expensive furniture were all paid for at the taxpayers expense. Nevertheless, when the Hacking Scandal in the News of the World came out in 2011; MPs of the Culture, Media and Sport Committee were in what only can described as aggressive in their questioning of James Murdoch, Rupert Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks. Therefore, it seems while there is such a high demand in the media for stories of scandal and wrongdoing it seems this blame culture is something that will remain stubbornly present in our society.