Refreshers’ Week With Societies Officer Jade Head

0

Written by Societies’ Officer, Jade Head

It’s Refreshers week, a time for you to relax and try something new before semester two really gets going.

Societies, sports club and other student groups are all putting on taster sessions for you to enjoy. You can find the full details here.

The first society I went to visit this week was Southampton University Organ Donation Awareness society (SUODA). Their taster session involved looking at the new society constitution which got approved ready to be approved by societies committee.

There was then a discussion about buying a banner for the society and the group talked through various designs and styles that they could have.

The main part of the meeting involved planning for the next event to raise awareness of organ donation, the societies aim! Look out for more details of this event soon- it should be fun!

I then had a chat with Amy, the President, to find out more.

What does your society do?
We want to make people aware of organ donation. It is simple to join the organ donor register and we would like to encourage people to realise what a huge gift it is.
Why would you encourage people to come along?
Being a part of SUODA is an opportunity to make a difference. There is no pressure to join the organ donor register at the meetings, we just have a chat, with informative materials available, and organise our events. And if you like the ice cream at Sprinkles, it’s our favourite place for a social.
Any interesting stories?
At the bake sale we raised over £100 for the charity Live Life Then Give Life!
What is your proudest moment?
I was worried that no one would come to the first meeting after the Bunfight so when the first people walked in the door I felt very proud.
Curly fries or sweet potato fries?
Curly fries (full portion)

Check out their Facebook page here to find out more information and keep up to date with what they’re doing!

Thanks to Amy and the other members of SUODA for a fun evening. If you’re interested in raising awareness of organ donating and enjoy running campaigns this is definitely the society for you!

I come from South West London and am studying English at Southampton. I am interested in journalism and considering it as a career after my degree. I have interests in Sports and Music and have written for a sports magazine called Sportsister before. I am keen to get involved in as much as possible whilst at Uni and writing about my experiences could be a very rewarding thing. :)