Enliven Fashion Project

0

On Saturday 22nd June I went along to the enliven fashion show at the point centre in Eastleigh. The event was a free day of catwalk shows, live photo shoots and craft markets.

The enliven project was set up by Paul Spencer 3 years ago with the help of industry donations from designers including Chris Liu and Nicholas Kirkwood. The idea behind the fashion project is to encourage up-cycling. A group of 11 up and coming artists and designers from around Hampshire are paired with charity shops in Eastleigh, then asked to create a unique collection of two or three pieces using only items sourced from that particular shop. The show on Saturday consisted of garments made from old clothes and bed sheets, jewellery out of aluminum bread bins, hand bags, and hats. All the designs were very innovative, putting together items that would usually be thrown away to good use to create exciting new pieces. hitherePrizes of exhibition space and £200 were given for best re-worked fashion, best commercial fashion and overall winner which was judged by Wayne Hemingway; MBE of Hemingway design. In addition to prize winners, all participants had their creations displayed in the window of their charity shop for 2 weeks before the live catwalk.
Winchester school of art 2nd year fashion student Hannah Inskip took part in the event. All her materials for her menswear collection were sourced from charity shop The British Heart Foundation. Hannah heard about the enliven project via an email from the university. She wanted to take part in the event as it was a great opportunity to gain experience in creating a miniature collection which would be good preparation for her 3rd year. The concept of up-cycling was already familiar to Hannah as she had recently completed a written essay about responsible design.
1057332_10151488060199856_886005167_nThe inspiration for her collection came from the fabrics she found in the rag bags; black mesh was the main contender of her garments which gave her menswear an instant sporty edge. Taking part in this project really helped to develop Hannah’s time management and construction skills. It tested her pattern cutting and altering knowledge. “It’s almost harder to re-make garments than it is to make from scratch as you have limited size of material and the previous seams and the way has been engineered or if it has stretched with wear.” The skills she had learnt will be invaluable to her in her last year of study. This project would look great on anyone’s CV hoping to break into the fashion industry. Hannah also adds that the project was “a lot of fun and highly recommended.”

For more of Hannah’s work you can visit her blog here.