Internships: Why Go London When You Could Go Local?

0

Every year us students ponder on searching for an internship that we have a genuine chance of getting offered. But sometimes, we look at the endless London job listings and panic over travel cost, accommodation and finding a 3 month window to spare. So why not go a little more local?

Based in Eastleigh, New Media Software Ltd have been working with our very own Excel Placement Programme for over 3 years now. In an effort to secure Southampton students stable jobs, NMS ltd have transformed 2 of their former interns into full time members of the team. An internship may not just be a window to look into the business, but a foot in the door, according to Career Destinations and manager of the Excel Programme, Karla Watkins:

Up to a third of graduate positions, across the UK, are offered to graduates who undertook internships with that organisation whilst studying.

Southampton graduate, Holly Mitchell, now partner marketing executive at NMS, obtained her placement and part time work all during her time at university. This allowed Holly to experience her potential working life after uni, before graduation celebrations even began!

Training for my graduate role part time alongside my degree has allowed me to quickly progress into a trainee management position. By September I will be recruiting my own part time students to coach as part of a marketing team.

We all get a high when we find out we’ve secured that internship we’ve always wanted, but the heavy rock that brings us back down to earth is the dread word…UNPAID. Fortunately NMS are strong advocates of paying their interns. Because, let’s face it, how can we experience the real working world if we’re not given the real package! We all know the benefits of being rewarded for our efforts, especially Holly:

The pay was incredibly motivating and it drove me to wholly apply myself. It also signified to me that my academic skills and experience were genuinely valued.

The idea of going more local can be off putting for some, as there is that general assumption that any local company will be an office of 5 workers cramped around 4 walls, working around 3 desks, with 2 functioning computers and only 1 intern…with 0% chance for development.

Wrong! Local employers can be an international organisation, including NMS. Southampton is the biggest city in the south, crammed full of large corporations that students can contact. Here are some useful links to get you started on finding that all important internship (listed below)

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/careers/placements/

http://www.e4s.co.uk/

http://www.gradsouthwest.com/

More articles in Careers Column
  1. Why is Work Experience Important?
  2. CVs – What to Add and What to Avoid
  3. Impress at that Interview
  4. More Languages = More Opportunities
  5. Celebrities You Didn’t Know Had Smarts!
  6. A-level Results: This Year’s Student Struggle
  7. Internships: Why Go London When You Could Go Local?
  8. Top 10 ‘Not So Normal’ Degrees…
  9. What Else Can Define You Other Than Your Degree?
  10. Students Jump Off the Unemployment Line
  11. Student Hubs – Delivering Valuable Work Experience to Students!
  12. Doing Business in China
  13. Student Business and How to Succeed
  14. Top 10 Jobs You Never Knew Existed

Editor of Wessex Scene 2014-15 Features Editor 2013-14 Writer 2012-2013 I have been involved with the publication throughout my time at university. As editor, I have worked with my team to redesign the magazine, the website and even create special editions on top of our monthly issues. I primarily write news, features and lifestyle pieces.