Calling All Hackers…

0

…software developers, entrepreneurs, designers or anyone whose attention has been sparked by this title: Silicon Valley is coming to Southampton! In a 48-hour event starting on the 8th November ending on the 10th.

The idea? Form teams and create a “fully functional, scalable and monetizable StartUp in less that 48 hours.” The event welcomes both techie-heads, business buffs and newcomers to both worlds. This exciting event will provide a valuable, fun experience and attempt to bridge the gap between the technologically-able and the more retro among us.

First prize for the best StartUp includes a fully paid trip to Silicon Valley with visits to the big boys: Facebook, Google, Twitter to name a few. Gadgets and GoSquared memberships, t-shirts and books are also up for grabs. There are also individual prizes to be won such as ‘Best Programmer’ and ‘Most Active on Twitter’.

Aside from working on your StartUp with help from mentoring sessions and free food and drink, other activities include lightning speakers and 3D printing sessions. Among the confirmed judges is Mihai Oaida, a software engineer at none other than Amazon. Google glasses are also around to play with.

HackaSoton is the baby of organisers and Southampton Uni students Alejandro Saucedo, Izidor Flajsman and Vlad Velici. All have had various previous successes spanning the tech world, from meeting David Cameron to discuss entrepreneurial matters, to organising the best Slovenian StartUp event ‘StartUp Weekend Ljubljana’, to globally promote hacker culture with ‘Summerhacks’ in Romania. HackaSoton itself has also had previous event successes since its inception, including RHoK (Random Hacks of Kidness) Southampton and HackaSoton + ECSE (Electronic and Computer Science Entrepreneurs). RHoK Southampton took place in June 2012 as part of a global RHoK scheme, which tried to bring computer engineers and scientists together to help solve humanitarian and world issues. It aims to make these specific, invaluable skills readily available to those projects and people that need it most.

HackaSoton is a huge opportunity to enter the dynamic world of StartUps. Open to everyone it promises to be a hectic, stressful, incredible experience for all involved. Hopefully it will follow the success of other Southampton students in the industry such as James Pursey, a 2011 Electronic Engineering graduate, and ex-Fish-on-Toast president. He’s since launched ‘Sorted’ to connect busy people who have DIY-like problems, to handy-people who can help and are need a few bob to get them through these tough times. To read more about him click here.

Accommodation, drinks and food are all covered by the £20 fee paid once you’re selected. Hurry, places are limited! The event will be taking place in the New Mountbatten building on Highfield Campus. Interested? Apply here.

Also, here is the official HackaSoton website: http://www.hackasoton.com/

History student with Mandarin on the side. Spent a year in China and a semester in Spain, plan to go back to China again after graduation. Opinion Editor at the Wessex Scene for two years.