Day Job and Night School: Better than Your Average Degree?

0

£9,000 fees. Does anything else need to be said? The four figure price tag is probably top of our list of ‘things to change about university’, so why would we do a degree at night school for the same price?

We may associate night school with working people learning extra skills and trying new things away from the desk, but it seems evening classes are on the up among younger people. New night courses are offering degree courses, still being completed over 3-4 years, just 3-4 evenings a week.

Birkbeck College, part of the University of London, had only 28 night students 3 years ago. Now offering up to 1,000 places, studying for a degree whilst being a bread winner is becoming more accessible for young adults.

Is this a new opportunity for those in higher education? It would cost the same, if not only slightly cheaper than other university courses. We still have to fork out for textbooks and possibly travel/accommodation expenses. However with the hours in the day to work full time, funding our education would make us feel that little bit better…and that little bit further from the high rising student debts!

So would you throw away the uni nightlife for night classes? That depends…would you rather have less debt dragging you down? Or would you prefer to embrace those monumental embarrassments in Jesters?

For more information on Birkbeck College, London’s only evening HE institute, follow the link below:

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/front-page

Editor of Wessex Scene 2014-15 Features Editor 2013-14 Writer 2012-2013 I have been involved with the publication throughout my time at university. As editor, I have worked with my team to redesign the magazine, the website and even create special editions on top of our monthly issues. I primarily write news, features and lifestyle pieces.