Silicon Valley Comes to Hackasoton: Day 1

0

48 hours of cutting-edge innovation have begun as ‘Silicon Valley Comes to Hackasoton’ brings together teams of young entrepreneurs, all of which sharing the hope of winning a trip to Silicon Valley and a mentorship at Google Headquarters.

The event, which runs from Friday 8th – Sunday 10th November, is hosted at The University of Southampton and is organized by students Alejandro Saucedo, Izidor Flajsman and Vlad Velici. The event promises to offer a weekend of “innovative development, creative design and entrepreneurial excellence.”

SVC2Hackasoton has not only attracted young entrepreneurs studying at Southampton, but is a multinational event, giving those from around the UK and across Europe the opportunity to produce a ‘start up’ in the small space of one weekend.

'B': The first RC Flying Car in the world was presented to the young entrepreneurs.
‘B’: The first RC Flying Car in the world was presented to the young entrepreneurs on day 1.

Day one has already proven to be a  challenge, as participants were offered the chance to perform on-the-spot individual pitches in just under 4 minutes, proposing ideas in front of their peers for potential start ups. These ideas were then subsequently narrowed down as the best pitches were chosen and teams were formed.

Those involved also received a special talk from Witold Mielniczek, creator of “B” – a remote control hybrid car-helicopter, capable of transitioning between ground and air. This innovative creation has the potential to be used as a vehicle in exploration missions. Mr. Mielniczek shared his journey in the creation process with the young entrepreneurs, who were then encouraged to ask him questions in a further Q&A session.

The first winner of the 48 hour raffle, prizes have been donated by sponors which include Facebook.
The first winner of the 48 hour raffle, prizes have been donated by sponsors which include Facebook.

Over the course of the 48 hours, the teams will be mentored by the most influential people in business, and will have the opportunity to use 3D printers throughout the competition. Sponsors include Bloomberg and Google, as well as Facebook, who have all provided merchandise and prizes. A raffle is drawn every hour as 48 awards will be given away across the weekend.

Organizer and previous winner of SVC2UK Appathon 2011 Alejandro Saucedo said of the event:

“This is really all about the connections you make and the feeling of being in a united community. It is a combination of brilliant, intelligent and passionate people who are all such workaholics but have been given the opportunity to all do what they love together.”

The winning team of a “fully functional, scalable and monetizable start up” will be rewarded with a trip to Silicon Valley, a mentorship at Google Headquarters as well as an award ceremony at Downing Street.

The Wessex Scene will keep you updated on Hackasoton throughout the course of the weekend. For more information please visit http://svc2.hackasoton.com/

News Editor for the Wessex Scene 2013 - 2015. I lead the news section, consistently providing the website with up-to-date news content. I am experienced in researching, reporting, writing and editing breaking news stories.