Silicon Valley Comes to Hackasoton – Day 3

0

Sunday marked the final day of an inspiring 48 hour event. Once again teams had been working through the night, ready to pitch their products to the judges on Sunday afternoon. 

Each team had 4 minutes for their presentation, followed by  a further 4 minutes to allow judges to ask questions. This years judges were: Mihai Oaida (Software engineer: Amazon UK), Alice Bentinck (Co-founder: Entrepreneur First) and Alistair Shepherd (Co-founder: Saberr).

From game apps to creative news outlets, the pitches varied in both style and creation. However the judges had to make a decision and not long after presentations the winners were announced:

3rd place: Source News: a website designed from scratch, designed to present unbiased news and provide users with a detailed comment system.

2nd place: Temprico: Manage your heating with a new digital thermostat that connects to your mobile app. Your heating only turns on when you approach your home and turns itself off as you leave, saving energy costs. The team built a prototype thermostat using the 3D printer.

1st place: Percepts: A new brand discovery app. The app uses recognition technology to allow you to review or see comments about any business…big or small!

(The winning team: Callum Spawforth, Prathap Chandran, Julio Enrique, Mansimran Singh and Jeremy Chui.)

All winners and runner ups received fantastic prizes. iPod shuffles for 3rd place and Nook GlowLights for 2nd place. Google Nexus tablets were awarded to the winners…along with their exciting trip to Silicon Valley California and an award ceremony at 10 Downing Street!

Celebrations carried on through the evening, with some teams planning to continue with their start ups to see them through to the very end. The products made at the university over the weekend have the potential to mark the next step in innovative technology and business enterprises. Congratulations to all of the teams for their hard work and willingness to sacrifice sleep for what turned out to be some incredibly unique 48 hour start ups!

Editor of Wessex Scene 2014-15
Features Editor 2013-14
Writer 2012-2013

I have been involved with the publication throughout my time at university. As editor, I have worked with my team to redesign the magazine, the website and even create special editions on top of our monthly issues.

I primarily write news, features and lifestyle pieces.