Student Business and How to Succeed

1

In this weeks career column, student Laura Barnes tells us her experience of how she started a business during her gap year, and the lessons and successes she earned from it.

My name is Laura Barnes and I am currently a second year studying Environmental Sciences. I started my own business when I was 19 during my gap year and I could not be happier with the decision I made. When I tell people that I have my own business they look at me in amazement and they all say I could never do that – but the thing is, is that ANYONE can!

I was concerned about the student debt I would graduate with. And with the recession and the current job climate the way it is it just added to my financial worries. I was looking for an alternative – a way to work flexibly but still have the time to do the things I love such as travelling.

I was introduced to Forever Living Products by my dad’s friend and well as they say the rest is history…

I was impressed with the ethics of the company and the superior quality products they retail – products all based on the pure inner leaf gel of the naturally grown Aloe Vera and so I joined and become an independent distributor. The company is the world’s number 1 grower and producer of Aloe Vera and beehive based products – and they do not test on animals – which is extremely important to me.

Forever Living Products has Investors in People Gold accreditation and has membership of the DSA. I enjoy the flexibility the company offers as it so easy to fit into the nooks and crannies in between my lectures, societies and going out.

I held a product launch just before the summer where people could come and try out some of the products for free as well as learn a little bit about the company. The evening went really well and I am now looking to hold similar evenings where you can come and indulge yourself with our luxury products.

You have to be committed, work hard and be honest – if you have all that then you will thrive in business. The support and training is second to none and the company offers amazing incentives in recognition of growing your business.

I took up this opportunity to enable me to graduate debt free in order to travel to South America for a year and watch the 2016 Olympic Games.

111120-124727 (2)

More articles in Careers Column
  1. Why is Work Experience Important?
  2. CVs – What to Add and What to Avoid
  3. Impress at that Interview
  4. More Languages = More Opportunities
  5. Celebrities You Didn’t Know Had Smarts!
  6. A-level Results: This Year’s Student Struggle
  7. Internships: Why Go London When You Could Go Local?
  8. Top 10 ‘Not So Normal’ Degrees…
  9. What Else Can Define You Other Than Your Degree?
  10. Students Jump Off the Unemployment Line
  11. Student Hubs – Delivering Valuable Work Experience to Students!
  12. Doing Business in China
  13. Student Business and How to Succeed
  14. Top 10 Jobs You Never Knew Existed

What is this?
    An ad by the aloe vera-whatever company?

There are plenty of multi-level marketing companies, and they all rob you blind.
    Can`t see the objective in this rather than promoting the whatever company.