Candidate Interview: Chibeza Mumbi, VP Welfare

0

In the run up to the 2015 SUSU election, the Wessex Scene team have been interviewing the candidates running for sabbatical positions. Here I interview VP Welfare candidate Chibeza Mumbi.

What distinguishes you from the other candidates running  for VP Welfare?

I feel like I have a realistic view of what SUSU can do, The other two candidates have great policies but are more general.  I’m really trying to listen to what students want in reality from SUSU and from University in general.

Your manifesto has focused a lot on raising awareness of people in abusive relationships and ensuring the University is doing it’s best to focus on mental health issues. But you’ve been pretty vague on how you’re going to go about this. What are your plans in enforcing it?

Before abuse relationships, I think there should be some kind of publication where people can see resources such as the  SUSU website. Just getting it out there, making people aware of it first is important, so that if people feel they are in an abusive relationship they can go somewhere to talk about it and for help and support.

As far as mental health, student minds are having a mental health awareness week which is great, especially things like stress management are great, we just need to make people more aware. Things like self care packages on campus would be nice.

What are your plans to work with Student Minds?

I haven’t needed to go to any of the stuff,  I think they do such great things with students that are struggling. I’d love to listen to their great ideas and anything they can add is great.

Another big point on your manifesto is housing. The incumbent VP welfare already does a lot of working and campaigning on this, how would you improve on this work?

I think the SUSU housing organisation is a great start. I think in terms of students that don’t go to that to find their houses is who needs help. My point was a lot of people are targeted for crappy accommodation such as all male groups. So I want to let students know what’s legal and acceptable, giving students support with housing – any helpful solutions!

What are you going to do to make SUSU more accessible for student parents?

Things like the timings student council and committee meetings discourages people with problems of childcare from coming. I think this is something that SUSU needs to look at, and have student parents in mind, it would be nice to have their involvement in SUSU.

More articles in SUSU Elections 2015
  1. Candidate Interview: Ruchika Menon, VP Communities
  2. Elections Night Live 2015: Winner Interviews
  3. Late Election Entry: SUSU the Cat
  4. SUSU Elections: The Exit Polls
  5. Candidate Interview: Roman Martin, VP Sports Development
  6. Candidate Interview: Ashley Sivarajah, VP Sports Development
  7. Candidate Interview: Jamie Wilson, VP Sport Development
  8. Candidate Interview: Stephen Barratt, VP Sports Development
  9. Candidate Interview: Rebecca Lake, VP Student Communities
  10. SUSU Elections: Debates Round-Up
  11. Candidate Interview: Benjamin Franklin, President
  12. Candidate Interview: Chris McGeehan, VP DCI
  13. Candidate Interview: Kerry Sclater, VP DCI
  14. Candidate Interviews: Dan Varley and Flora Noble, JCR Officer
  15. Candidate Interview: Hannah Talbot, VP Engagement
  16. Candidate Interview: Shruti Verma, VP Education
  17. Candidate Interview: Jenny Bortoluzzi, VP Engagement
  18. Candidate Interview: Anjit Aulakh, VP Student Communities
  19. Candidate Interview: Chibeza Mumbi, VP Welfare
  20. Candidate Interview: Sam Bailey, VP Welfare
  21. SUSU Election Rumours: Who’s Running?
  22. BREAKING: VP Engagment Candidate Daniel Clemence Withdraws from SUSU Elections
  23. BREAKING: SUSU Election Candidates Revealed
  24. Elections Night Live 2015: Candidate interviews
  25. ELECTIONS NIGHT LIVE 2015: The Results
  26. PAUSE ELECTIONS LIVE BLOG 2015
  27. ELECTIONS NIGHT LIVE 2015

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.