Should we all be trying mindfulness colouring books?

In great news for your inner child, apparently colouring books are back in. Not only are they tons of fun but apparently they have health benefits too, so now you can feel totally at peace with your procrastination – what’s stopping you?

Waterstones has seen a huge surge in adult colouring books, with sales rising by 300% between Christmas 2013 and 2014 and Foyles had to drastically increase their shelf space to accommodate the demand. In June, the Telegraph reported that sales of colouring books in France had rocketed after publishers began marketing them as a ‘de-stressing’ tool. Mohara Gill, Head of Art at Foyles, said ‘Colouring books are great if you’re interested in ‘creativity’ but don’t know where to start.’ Apparently many adults buy them as gifts for friends.

In fact, it seems that apart from the fact that colouring will fill you with such a strong sense of nostalgia, you’ll feel instantly responsibility-free. Apparently they help to lower stress, increase calmness, focus the mind and enhance creativity – what’s not to love?

There’s a huge array of them on the market (with Amazon being decidedly cheaper than bookshops and you don’t really want to break the bank for a colouring book) so here are some of the best picks.

download (1)
Image credit:

The Mindfulness Colouring Book

This one is the number one best seller in the ‘spiritual meditation’ section of Amazon so not only will you feel relaxed and Zen when scribbling away in it, you’ll also get a huge sense of accomplishment for being cosmopolitan enough to buy something from the spiritual meditation section – so there’s something.

The Mindfulness Colouring Book is also pocket-sized so you can be ready t relax wherever you are.

You can buy it here for £5.59 where it claims you can ‘colour your way to peace and calm’ which sounds like a good thing, especially in exam season.

Image credit:

Colour Therapy

This one has ‘therapy’ in the title so that definitely makes it a totally legitimate form of de-stressing and definitely not procrastination at all. Perhaps.

Each page focuses on a particular colour palette, from intense reds and oranges to serene blues and calming pastels, so readers can colour to suit their mood. Essentially you can soothe your type A personality by only colouring in carefully coordinated colour palette’s, removing the stress of even having to choose which shades to use. One reviewer even said it helped with their anxiety, so there’s more than enough reason to enjoy this book.

Slightly more expensive at £10.39 for the hardback – you can buy it here from Amazon.

Image credit:

The Ryan Gosling Colouring Book

This one satisfies not only your urge to relax, but also your urge to look at pictures of Ryan Gosling all day, so two birds with one stone really.

Even if Ryan Gosling doesn’t tick your box there are ones for Taylor Swift, One Direction, Benedict Cumberbatch and many others available here starting from around £6 (prices vary depending on which celebrity’s face you want to scribble on).

The only issue with these ones is that if you are colouring skills are pretty good and you’re particularly into that celebrity, you could end up more excited than relaxed.

download (2)
Image credit:

The Secret Garden

This one is described as ‘an inky treasure hunt and colouring book’ which I think we can all agree sounds pretty adventurous.

The Secret Garden has more of a story to it than the others, so if you feel like your colouring is lacking plot line then this is the one for you. It’s a collection of seriously beautiful illustrations just waiting to be coloured in and you could even tear them out and use them as wall decoration later.

Buy it here for £8.95.