Your iPhone is Stalking You.

Does privacy even exist anymore?

With this week’s Ashely Madison reveal people are question their privacy more than ever. Our right to privacy is being slowly chipped away and it’s a constant news source – from Paula Radcliffe championing privacy of athletes, or the Lib Dem’s fear of the Snooper’s Charter being implemented. 

Now, it’s very unlikely that many students are going to be on a dating site for married people (but, you never know). However, a lot of students have iPhones – and the way it’s tracking you could be much scarier than your ex searching your email address among 32 million others.

Your iPhone knows exactly where you’ve been and exactly how long you’ve been there. I only got my phone a couple of weeks ago – so mine didn’t have too many, but it did have my exact address, the exact address of the office I’m interning at, my boyfriend’s address, and even my local supermarket.

It even has the times you’ve arrived and left each address.

This image is cropped to protect the writer’s privacy

It’s not just the road or approximate area you visit – but the exact pin point of where you are – and how long you spend there.

Pretty scary stuff – if someone got hold of your phone – or hacked it – they’d be able to easily track your locations. Or, if you’re regularly visiting somewhere you shouldn’t be, you might want to turn it off.  They could know exactly where you’ve been, a bar, your friend’s house, your own house, your halls, the list goes on.

Apple insist that the service exists to track and improve services in order to learn places that are significant to you.

Professor Noel Sharkey, a computing expert, told the Metro:

This is shocking. Every place you go, where you shop, where you have a drink – it is all recorded. This is a divorce lawyer’s dream. But what horrifies me is that it’s so secret. Why did we not know about this? If you put that information in someone else’s hands, then it becomes powerful, and in some cases, dangerous.

To turn it off, go to ‘Settings’, ‘Privacy’, ‘Location Services’ ‘System Services’ and ‘Frequent Locations’.

IMG_9824 IMG_9825 IMG_9826

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.