Struggling with Cash? Here’s 8 Scholarships Still Available for Students.

0

Money, money, money, must be funny, in a graduates world?

80% of students struggle to make ends meet, and more and more students are turning to alternative ways to fund their study, such as selling their body, gambling or partaking in medical trails.

So before you allow a doctor to inject you with flu, why not think about scholarships instead?

Social enterprise, The Scholarship Hub features over £115m of student funding.  The website features tips on applying for postgrad and undergrad scholarships, how to find them and tips on budgeting. It has 2,000 scholarships ranging from £100 up to £80,000 all for UK students. 

Karen Kennard, founder of The Scholarship Hub, argues

Students are missing a trick not looking into scholarships as a way of supporting their university studies. In general scholarships are not always oversubscribed. Last year applicants to one scholarship, for instance, had a one in seven chance of winning £3000 towards their tuition fees.  Many applications only require a short essay or personal details such as where you live, where you went to school, what your parents do or religious affiliations for example.

Hence, here are Wessex Scene’s top 8 scholarships, that are still open for 2015/16 academic year, which we found with the help of the Scholarship hub.

1. The Ford Prize for Women in STEM

Who can apply?

Open to women starting their first year of an undergraduate degree in a STEM subject (Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths). Designed to inspire the next generation of scientists.

How Much?

£1,000

Closing date?

6th November

Apply here.

2. The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship

Who can apply?

Women studying anywhere in Europe who excel in computing and technology. They must be studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical field. Some lucky students also attend a retreat at Google!

How much?

7,000 Euros

Closing date?

Applications open in autumn 2015.

Apply here.

1.  The Giva Student Scholarship 

Who can apply?

Anyone!  There is no specific course required. This scholarship is aimed at assisting students to further their education as well as expand their social responsibility and community service footprint in the world.

How much?

$1000

Closing date?

1st December 2015.

Apply here

1. The Chris Potter Sports Bursary

Who can apply?

Open to sporty types, who have made a significant contribution to student sport as a competitor, official, referee, umpire, coach or volunteer.

How much?

£750-£1000

Closing date?

Applications open in October.

Apply here.

1. The Global Study Awards Who can apply?Open to any student worldwide who wants to study abroad. Designed to encourage young people to explore new countries, cultures and languages.How much?

Up to £10,000.

Closing date?

30th November 2015.

Apply here.

1. The UK Electronic Skills Foundation Industrial Studentships 

Who can apply?

Students starting or studying for Computer Science or Electronics at one of the 14 Partner Universities  (Southampton is one of them) are matched with companies and offered paid summer work placements as well as bursaries.

How Much?

£1,655 a year.

Closing date?

25th October 2015.

Apply here.

7. 1st Formations Scholarship

Who can apply?

Anyone studying a business related degree at a UK institution who are able to demonstrate academic excellence.

How much?

£600

Closing date? 

31 December 2015.

Apply here

8.  ACLS Scholarship for Healthcare Providers

Who can apply?

Medical or dentistry UK students

How much?

$1,000

Closing date?

20 December 2015.

Apply here

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.