Deposit Protection Guide: Know Your Rights


If you’re a private rented fresher, or even second, third of fourth year, this could be the first time your living in private rented accommodation.

It’s hardly breaking news that landlords sometimes aren’t the nicest people – you just need to look at the results of SUSU’s Vent About Your Rent survey or the Lousy Lettings Facebook page to see some horrifying landlord stories.

Research from flat-sharing site reveals that 35% of 18-24 year olds experienced a dispute with their landlords for not maintaining the property adequately, and 40% we completely unaware of their rights as tenants.

As a tenant, it’s important to know your rights.  have put together a deposit protection guide. Learn your rights now, at the start of the year, before it’s too late.

It’s your landlord’s responsibility to fix things around the house, thats things like mould, broken shower heads, and boilers. It’s very common for landlords to not pull their weight here, with 68% of tenants reporting they’ve had issues with this.

The most common dispute between landlords and tenants is over damage, 70% of tenants report this. The best way to avoid this is replace old lightbulbs, carpet stains and anything a greedy landlord might extortionately claim to cost.

A third of tenants have a dispute with their landlords over cleaning. This is easily avoidable keep your house clean and take lots of pictures when you move out for proof.

The two most important things to remember in getting your deposit back are:

  1. Your deposit must be protected by a government sponsored agency

Within 30 days of receiving your deposit, your landlord must ensure that your deposit is protected with a government-backed scheme, and you receive information about the scheme they are using. Government back schemes can be any of the following: Deposit Protection Guide, My Deposits, or The Dispute Service.

2. You can only lose your deposit for damages, unpaid rent or a broken tenancy agreement. 

Not unpaid bills, agency fees or incidences which occur no financial loss.

If you have trouble with your landlord not adhering to law, contact the Union’s Advice Centre for help. For more advice, visit



Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.

Comments are closed.