Four Laws That are Coming into Force Today that You Should Know About

Today, the 1st of October 2015, is a huge day for politics. Why? Because four new laws are coming into force and here is what you need to know about them; 

The Parking ‘Grace Period parking ticket

Up until now, you could be issued a parking fine from the moment your ticket becomes invalid. However the law implemented today gives motorists a ten minute ‘grace period’ when parking in a private car park.(Great for when your shopping in West Quay gets a little way-laid.) The new policy can be used both at the end of paid-for time and free parking periods.

The 30 Day Refund Right

It was previously held that anyone who bought goods that were found to be faulty could return them for a refund if it was done so within a ‘reasonable time’. The new law specifically states that anyone who buys faulty goods can return them for a full refund for up to 30 days after purchase. shopping bags

Smoking in Vehicles with Children 

In order to protect children from the dangers of second-hand smoke, it is now illegal to smoke in the car (or any other vehicle) with an under-eighteen present. The law still applies even if the windows are down or the air conditioning on. If caught, the driver and the smoker could be subject to a £50 fine each.

smoking near baby

Smoke and Carbon-Monoxide Alarms 

And on the subject of smoke, it is now illegal for landlords to rent out a property without a fitted smoke alarm on all of its floors. Alongside this, Carbon Monoxide alarms are required in rooms that contain fuel-burning appliances. Landlords who don’t comply with this rule will be subject to a £5000 fine. smoke alarm

England’s 46 fire and rescue authorities are expected to support private landlords in their own areas to meet their new responsibilities with the provision of free alarms, with grant funding from government.

Make sure that your student house is fitted with smoke alarms on each floor, and if you find that this is not the case then contact your landlord or the SUSU advice centre. 

Features Editor 2015-2016 and a third year English student. Feminist, Perfectionist and avid adventurer. When I'm not writing I can be found in the Surge Radio studio presenting my show, 'The World According to Ellie' or drinking copious amounts of coffee. I adore history, theatre and reading.