Society Spotlight: Enactus Southampton

Enactus is a student led global social enterprise society. All of its student members volunteer huge amounts of their time to create, develop and take action on practical entrepreneurial projects; projects that bring clean, potable water to Kenyan villages, projects that use a rental model to distribute solar lights to people all across East Africa and projects that empower African woman to make and sell quality, affordable sanitary towels and soap made from local materials.

What does the society do?

Enactus works with communities that are the most vulnerable, anEnactus Committeed empower the people in that community to create sustainable, long-term change that transforms their lives. Students from all over the world have decided that their time at university should be about making a positive change, not just delivering social welfare or charitable donations, but by using their intellectual skill and moral determination to create business-driven, scalable social enterprises. If there is one thing that Enactus has taught me, it is that students have the power to deliver the change in this world, which is so often talked about but not acted upon.

What is social enterprise?

Social enterprises are businesses that trade to tackle social problems, improve communities, people’s life chances, or the environment. They make their money from selling goods and services in the open market, but they reinvest their profits back into the business or the local community.

What are the competitions for?

Enactus wouldn’t be the same without its annual competitions. Every year, in April, 56 University Enactus teams from all over the UK compete for the Nationals trophy. It involves six members of each team representing their entire Enactus team in the form of a presentation of their best projects to business leaders from all over the country.

Enactus Southampton won the National competition this year, which meant that we got to compete in the Enactus World Cup in Johannesburg, South Africa. Thanks to the support of the wider team, the dedication and passion of the presentation team and the incredible achievements of our international projects, Enactus Southampton came home with the World Cup! This means that out of 36 countries, 1700 Enactus teams and over 70 000 students, Enactus Southampton were judged to be the best.

Our new monthly slot

I asked the Wessex Scene if they would like to team up and start a monthly article slot for Enactus, detailing Enactus Southampton projects, member’s stories and society events and successes. They were kind enough to let us start this series, and ultimately help to spread the word about all the great work Enactus is doing.

If you would like to learn more information about Enactus Southampton check out our website and for updates follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.