Enactus Spotlight: JuaMaji

Enactus is a student led global social enterprise society. All of its student members volunteer huge amounts of their time to create, develop and take action on practical entrepreneurial projects. In this months Enactus spotlight, Jack Pethick and Jade Cohen introduce you to our JuaMaji project.

What is JuaMaji and what does it aim to do?

The JuaMaji project aims to tackle water supply issues in communities where access to and quality of water is poor. The problem can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as pollution or a lack of basic infrastructure within local communities to provide clean water. Therefore, the JuaMaji project has created a social enterprise, through which to empower local entrepreneurs, and create a sustainable solution to the issue of poor water access.

This has thus lead to the creation of our Mission Statement:

We want to create enough clean water for equitable use by the community in which we are operating, and maintain a thriving and sustainable enterprise for our entrepreneurs.

Our Solution

Our solution to this issue uses the simple technology of solar water distillation. It involves the construction of a tent with clear, plastic sheeting, where saltwater or freshwater is poured into the base and left to evaporate using natural solar radiation. The plastic sheeting can capture the water as it condenses, where it is then collected for distribution in the local community.

The project originally consisted of a desalination plant, where salt water is evaporated in a shallow basin, and collected for drinking. But then, after a visit to Kenya, plans for a fish farming enterprise emerged, with the idea to place the tents on top of fish ponds and collect the freshwater for the community as a by-product. 

Where is the project working currently?

The project is currently situated in Kisumu, Kenya, where Tilapia (a type of fish) will be grown and harvested, and sold by local entrepreneurs.

Currently, we have one full scale model up and running in Osiri village, just outside of Kisumu. The model is producing around 250 litres of water per day at the moment, with this figure expected to rise to 500 litres once the other half of the structure is completed. The fresh water from the JuaMaji will be distributed to a local school, helping to alleviate the issues involved in the collection, quality and costs of water obtained. 

JuaMaji’s current partner is Ecofinder, based in Kisumu. Ecofinder is a grass-roots organisation leading initiatives for sustainable communities around the Lake Victoria Basin. 

The project is currently aiming to continue the ground work already done at our site in Kenya, as well as prototype the model in other locations over the next year.

Jack Pethick. Sport Editor 2014-2016. Third-Year History student. Mainly write for the Sport section but dabble in writing News and Features. General Armchair pundit and lover of all things Sport. #WouldDoABetterJobThanCarragher