Elephant in The Corner: Social Anxiety

0

Anxiety served a useful evolutionary purpose back when a nascent humanity was dwelling out on the Savannah. Fear, fright, being scared would keep the mind alert to big predators, making it less likely you would be prey to the mouths of snakes, giant cats and demons. The strong beget their genes and humanity evolved to meet the manifold threats of the wild. But in modern times, the risks we face are considerably diminished, with the evolution of medicine and society making the world less fatal and more peaceful than the brutish, nasty and short life of past times.

Nevertheless, the evolution of our brains has hard-wired us to anxious responses, and a world filled with sensory overstimulation sends our minds in to overload.

A low-level of anxiety may be actually a healthy stimulus in some scenarios, like a week before your essay is due, but beyond a tipping point it becomes a mental disorder with a debilitating impact on people’s lives. Social Anxiety, also known as Social Phobia, is one subset of anxiety disorder in which anxiety is specifically triggered by social interactions (or the thought of them.) The condition can ravage self-esteem and have a negative effect on inter-personal relationships, school and work. It is a condition I struggle with myself and its symptoms manifest in a number of ways:

1. Avoiding social situations

If you have Social Anxiety then the idea of social events will usually fill you with dread and the urge to flee. Sometimes I have spent 40 minutes walking to campus and have gotten to the door of a lecture before becoming anxious, turning around and going home again. Other times I have been really keen to participate in events on campus but have stayed away because the thought of being exposed to so many people provokes fear.

2. Not talking

The most problematic symptom I have when I am in social situations is not being able to communicate. In large and small gatherings I am simply too scared to speak, unless I know someone very well. Understandably this is a deeply frustrating thing to go through. Often I am thinking of many things to share or say, but I feel incapable of saying them aloud as the overwhelming feeling of anxiety fills my mouth with treacle. This becomes a vicious spiral, as a creeping self-consciousness about being quiet creates more anxiety, which in turn makes speaking more difficult again. I have found this exerts an unhealthy pressure on friendships. Though there are plenty of people who understand and who empathize with my silence, having had similar experiences themselves, sometimes people think that I am being off with them. Friends have suggested my quietness makes them feel awkward, though they have eventually learned I don’t mean it to be rude.

3. Hair pulling

In periods when you are suffering with high anxiety levels it turns you in to a walking bag of frayed, neurotic nerves. It is understandable that people look for ways to release anxiety. Making repeated, unconscious gestures to release the tension and frustration of anxiety is another symptom of the disorder. Some people scratch or bite, but I pull my hair. It starts unconsciously, as my anxiety levels are rising. It can be strangely relaxing as the rhythmic, repeated motion takes your mind off consciousness of anxiety and pressure.

4. Physical Symptoms

As well as psychosomatic symptoms anxiety provokes a range of physical reactions. Palpitations, dizzyness, hotness, nausea and – rarely – blackouts, are all things I experience.

So what can you do if you suffer Social Phobia?

If you suspect you experience Social Phobia but haven’t received any help, consider speaking to your doctor who will be able to help you. You could also consider mindfulness techniques. They have been around a long time but interest is undergoing a recent renaissance in clinical approaches to treating mental disorder, with different exercises being promoted to aid relaxation and recovery from anxiety attacks. Different exercises, therapies and guided meditations are freely available on the internet.

More articles in Students and Mental Health
  1. Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part One
  2. Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part Two
  3. Impulsivity Can Be A Side Effect of Medication, But Is It A Good Thing?
  4. Mental Health: Ways to Get Help Over the Summer Holidays
  5. 92% of Students Report Feelings of Mental Distress
  6. Eating Disorders Awareness Week: Confession of an Anorexic
  7. Eating Disorders: Realisations and Recovery
  8. Is it Me?: The Realities of Depression
  9. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Hypochondria
  10. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Bipolar Disorder
  11. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Dermatillomania
  12. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 2
  13. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 1
  14. Getting It Straight: What You Didn’t Know About OCD
  15. Mental Illness, Katie Hopkins, and Me
  16. OCD: Washing Away the Stigma
  17. The Germanwings Co-Pilot and the Stigma of Mental Illness
  18. You Say Adventure, I Say Ordeal
  19. 8 Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Depressed Person
  20. Eating Disorders and the Media: What Are ‘Real’ Women?
  21. How To Help A Panic Attack
  22. How to Survive a Mid-Year Crisis
  23. The University of Southampton Needs To Do More for Mental Health
  24. 5 Ways to Get Involved With Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016
  25. Winter Blues: It’s A Real Thing
  26. Elephant in The Corner: Social Anxiety
  27. Victory over Vehophobia: How to Overcome a Fear of Driving
  28. Let’s Talk About Homesickness
  29. Your Guide to Managing a Fresher’s State of Mind
  30. Study Finds Exam Pressure To Be The Cause of Mental Health Problems In Pupils
  31. University’s Research into Mental Health Treatment Goes Deeper