Not Enough People in Southampton are Life-Savers

0

Delete Blood Cancer UK are calling for more people in the Southampton area to save lives. Currently, only 2,690 from the Southampton area are registered as potential blood stem cell donors with Delete Blood Cancer UK, but many more are being sought to help find matches for the thousands of blood cancer patients needing a blood stem cell donation every year.

For many blood cancer patients, a blood stem cell donation is their only chance of survival and they will die if a matching donor isn’t found.  No matching donor available does not mean that there isn’t one out there. There could be someone image006out there with a tissue type that matches the patient’s.  For many, it is a matter of life or death as to whether someone has signed up to be a blood donor.

Emphasising how easy it is for people to register, Caroline Portlock, Head of Donor Recruitment at Delete Blood Cancer UK, said:

“Registering online as a potential blood stem cell donor only takes a few minutes but it could lead to you giving decades to someone else. It could lead to you saving the life of someone with blood cancer who is in need of a blood stem cell donation for their survival. Please take the time to do it as it could be one of the most important things you ever do.”

Making a difference is easier than ever.

You can register in five minutes online and request a cheek swab kit that will enable you to do your own tissue test to go on the database and maybe one day become a blood stem cell donor. Register through the Delete Blood Cancer UK website www.deletebloodcancer.org.uk

Wessex Scene Editor 2016-17 and Features Editor 2015-2016. History Student, Blog writer (http://emeraldalice.blogspot.co.uk/) and traveller. Student Brand Ambassador for the i Paper 2015-2016. Tea lover, cat enthusiast. @Alicetotheskies