Winter Blues: It’s A Real Thing

0

It get’s dark about 5pm, it rains a lot, it’s cold and Christmas is over but it’s still Winter. It’s only natural that you’d get the Winter blues. But, some people get it more than others. Seasonal Affective Disorder or S.A.D is a very real thing. It’s not a particularly unknown mental illness but sometimes it needs a little more recognition. It can be a difficult thing to notice in a person, especially when they often seem so happy to you. Their happiness seems to depend on the sun and the winter months can be a really difficult time.

What is it really?

It’s a type of depression that can be caused by a lack of exposure to the sun. In the winter months, not only are we affected by the shorter days but by how much time we spend inside. Lack of sunlight affects a part of your brain that controls your body clock, your mood, appetite, sleep patterns and your sleepiness (caused by a hormone called melatonin). S.A.D is probably more common than you think. A lack of sunlight can affect everyone, just to different degrees… hence the term ‘Winter Blues’.

What are the symptoms?

Well, S.A.D tends to come with typical symptoms of depression such as reduced appetite, libido and lack of sleep. It’s also associated with our desire to hibernate. It means a tendency to crave carbs, sweets, comfort food. It could mean weight gain. I guess that explains why Christmas dinner is so satisfying.

How do I deal with it? 

Unfortunately, S.A.D is a recurring thing due to the recurring of winter itself. For those affected a little more seriously, there are some measures you can take such as light therapy, cognitive behavioural therapy or taking medication such as anti-depressants or selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors.

However, for those who don’t want to go to the trouble of medication and therapy, here are a few ways to make yourself a little cheerier during the winter months.

• Exercise: We always hear that exercise is the key to everything from exam stress to feeling a bit down, but, honestly, there is a reason why we hear it all the time
  • Make like a cat and find a sunny spot in your house. Sit there with your phone, a book, your laptop and let yourself absorb the warmth. If a lack of sunlight is the cause, finding sunlight is the obvious cure. Try and go for a short walk when it stops raining to grab the rays of sun whilst you can. Too cold? Grab a hot chocolate and wrap up warm. Take a friend.
  • Do what your body is telling you to do and go to sleep. Stop waiting for notifications or emails. Turn off your phone and nap in the middle of the day. Cut yourself some slack.
  • Treat Yourself. It’s cold and you’re really feeling those winter blues so you have the perfect excuse to grab some retail therapy, make yourself a hot chocolate, binge watch your favourite show.

And if none of that works, go to the Stags, have a pint and wait for it all to blow over.

More articles in Students and Mental Health
  1. Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part One
  2. Sport and Wellbeing: The Importance of Exercise for Combatting Stress, Part Two
  3. Impulsivity Can Be A Side Effect of Medication, But Is It A Good Thing?
  4. Mental Health: Ways to Get Help Over the Summer Holidays
  5. 92% of Students Report Feelings of Mental Distress
  6. Eating Disorders Awareness Week: Confession of an Anorexic
  7. Eating Disorders: Realisations and Recovery
  8. Is it Me?: The Realities of Depression
  9. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Hypochondria
  10. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Bipolar Disorder
  11. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Dermatillomania
  12. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 2
  13. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 1
  14. Getting It Straight: What You Didn’t Know About OCD
  15. Mental Illness, Katie Hopkins, and Me
  16. OCD: Washing Away the Stigma
  17. The Germanwings Co-Pilot and the Stigma of Mental Illness
  18. You Say Adventure, I Say Ordeal
  19. 8 Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Depressed Person
  20. Eating Disorders and the Media: What Are ‘Real’ Women?
  21. How To Help A Panic Attack
  22. How to Survive a Mid-Year Crisis
  23. The University of Southampton Needs To Do More for Mental Health
  24. 5 Ways to Get Involved With Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016
  25. Winter Blues: It’s A Real Thing
  26. Elephant in The Corner: Social Anxiety
  27. Victory over Vehophobia: How to Overcome a Fear of Driving
  28. Let’s Talk About Homesickness
  29. Your Guide to Managing a Fresher’s State of Mind
  30. Study Finds Exam Pressure To Be The Cause of Mental Health Problems In Pupils
  31. University’s Research into Mental Health Treatment Goes Deeper

Wessex Scene Editor 2016-17 and Features Editor 2015-2016. History Student, Blog writer (http://emeraldalice.blogspot.co.uk/) and traveller. Student Brand Ambassador for the i Paper 2015-2016. Tea lover, cat enthusiast. @Alicetotheskies