Gay Marriage and Craig David: It’s Not All Bad News!

0

In 2015, it sometimes felt as though the world had reached Dystopia, with what seemed like endless violence, shootings, attacks, and the unfortunate rise of Donald Trump. Awful events filled our headlines. However, it’s not all bad news. Despite the tragedies of the previous year, there were some good things that happened in 2015 and some fantastic things the world has achieved.

1. Gay Marriage Legalised in 19 Countries

On 26th June 2015, gay marriage was legalised nationwide in the United States. Soon after, and a little closer to home, Ireland legalised gay marriage on 16th November. Now most of Europe and the United States have done this, hopefully the rest of the world will follow in their footsteps.

2. Water Found on Mars

Last year, NASA confirmed that liquid water flows on Mars. This is an incredible discovery and one which bares incredible significance for the future of science and space. Not only this, but NASA also confirmed that there has been a discovery of an earth-like planet orbiting a star similar to our sun. This could be the beginning of something huge. Perhaps we are one step closer to finding other forms of life in the universe. With Tim Peake blasting off into Space too, as the first ever Brit to go to the international space station, it was a good year for space discoveries and exploration.

3. A Step Forward in Tackling Climate Change

The COP was a huge diplomatic success last year. Finally, decisions have been made about really tackling climate change. Whilst climate change has already taken some effect, the very fact that nations have come to an agreement for action is fantastic.

4. Amazing Musical Comebacks

Adele, Justin Bieber, Craig David all made smashing come backs in 2015 with bangers such as ‘Sorry’ and ‘Hello’. Not only this but Busted announced their comeback tour. So, 2015 meant it was suddenly acceptable to like a Justin Bieber song, and not surprising to see someone crying to Adele’s soulful voice.

5. Achievements for Women

The tampon tax outrage grabbed the attention of the British government who have said that they will lobby the European commission, the BBC got its first ever female political editor, and The Sun scrapped page 3 in their printed newspaper.

6. Solidarity

2015 also saw the world unite in Solidarity, especially after the Paris attacks. This was demonstrated by countless vigils, French flags projected onto buildings, French flags on Facebook profile pictures, you name it. Solidarity was also achieved following the refugee crisis. The protests demanding that the UK welcome refugees is just one example of this.

7. Azeem’s Flute Recital

50,000 Brit’s watched a live stream of Azeem Ward’s flute recital in May last year from across the pond simply because the event went viral on Facebook. 104,000 people clicked attending. Using his fame, Azeem raised more than £5,000 to go towards the victims of the earthquake in Nepal. If that isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.

8. Transgender Equality

Again, there’s still a long way to go but great things happened this year for Transgender equality. Caitlyn Jenner forced the issue into the mainstream. Not only that, but members of Westboro Baptist Church were chased out of a high school in Missouri after they protested against the first transgender student becoming homecoming queen.

There is still hope for humanity yet. Let’s hope 2016 is better!

Wessex Scene Editor 2016-17 and Features Editor 2015-2016. History Student, Blog writer (http://emeraldalice.blogspot.co.uk/) and traveller. Student Brand Ambassador for the i Paper 2015-2016. Tea lover, cat enthusiast. @Alicetotheskies