5 Ways to Get Involved With Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016

0

Eating disorders are incredibly challenging and damaging illnesses for suffers, family and friends alike. February 22nd-29th marks Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016, an international awareness week that aims to fight the myths surrounding eating disorders, and remove some of the clouds surrounding treatment, support and options. Here are five ways you can get involved to help.

1 – Put on an awareness event

The best way you can raise awareness of eating disorders is to do something that helps eating disorders to be talked about in an open and unstigmatised way. Last year, Student Minds put on events such as a ‘Walk for Wellbeing’, a ‘Love Your Body’ campaign and drop-in sessions where eating disorders could be spoken about in a free and non-judgemental environment. Leading eating disorder charity Beat runs a #SockIt campaign, where everyone wears silly socks to raise awareness – you can register for your free ‘Sock It’ here so you can easily set up a campaign in Southampton to raise awareness this week!

Beat-SOCK-IT-logo-WEB_0
Image Credit: www.b-eat.co.uk

2 – Eating disorder support groups

The University of Southampton runs a free, weekly support group that meets on campus every Tuesday from 6.30-8pm. Sessions are open to anyone and you can come and go as you please. Find out more information here.

3 – Familiarise yourself with the support available

There is a wealth of support out there for anybody affected by an eating disorder. Beat is the UK’s leading charity, with an excellent website with easily accessible information for sufferers and carers alike; more resources and contacts can be found on this Uni web page that aims to support and guide students with eating disorders. Likewise, there are Uni-specific support systems such as Student Minds, The Advice Centre, and also Nightline, which you can call confidentially every evening in term time between 8pm and 8am.

zz
Image credit: www.studentminds.org.uk
z
Image credit: www.nightline.ac.uk

4 – Remember everyone affected by an eating disorder needs support

Eating disorders can affect not only the individuals fighting against them but their family, friends and acquaintances as well. It can be incredibly challenging to support someone through an eating disorder, which can be an extremely isolating and frustrating experience. It’s important to remember that everyone needs someone to lean on in times of crisis, and more people than purely those battling an eating disorder will be affected by them.

5 – Remove the stigma!

The more openly eating disorders are talked about, the freer sufferers will feel to seek help for themselves. There are so many myths swirling around eating disorders – from something as ignorant as ‘It’s all about food’, to something as ludicrous as ‘Boys don’t get them’. All these stereotypes need to be cleared out the way to raise awareness of eating disorders. You can see a full list of myths debunked on this page. Equally, if you have a personal experience of an eating disorder you can become a Young Ambassador and raise awareness through five main areas – campaigning, fundraising, healthcare, education and the media. Young Ambassadors work on ‘reducing the stigma and educating others about eating disorders’, so this is one of the best ways of channelling personal experience into a positive outlet.

A recent survey estimates that between 750,000 and 1.6 million people in the UK are battling eating disorders; we need to raise awareness and remove the stigma that stops people reaching out for help.

More articles in Students and Mental Health
  1. Impulsivity Can Be A Side Effect of Medication, But Is It A Good Thing?
  2. Mental Health: Ways to Get Help Over the Summer Holidays
  3. 92% of Students Report Feelings of Mental Distress
  4. Eating Disorders Awareness Week: Confession of an Anorexic
  5. Eating Disorders: Realisations and Recovery
  6. Is it Me?: The Realities of Depression
  7. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Hypochondria
  8. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Bipolar Disorder
  9. Lesser Known Mental Illnesses: Dermatillomania
  10. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 2
  11. Anxiety, Depression and the Year Abroad: Part 1
  12. Getting It Straight: What You Didn’t Know About OCD
  13. Mental Illness, Katie Hopkins, and Me
  14. OCD: Washing Away the Stigma
  15. The Germanwings Co-Pilot and the Stigma of Mental Illness
  16. You Say Adventure, I Say Ordeal
  17. 8 Things You Shouldn’t Say to a Depressed Person
  18. Eating Disorders and the Media: What Are ‘Real’ Women?
  19. How To Help A Panic Attack
  20. How to Survive a Mid-Year Crisis
  21. The University of Southampton Needs To Do More for Mental Health
  22. 5 Ways to Get Involved With Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2016
  23. Winter Blues: It’s A Real Thing
  24. Elephant in The Corner: Social Anxiety
  25. Victory over Vehophobia: How to Overcome a Fear of Driving
  26. Let’s Talk About Homesickness
  27. Your Guide to Managing a Fresher’s State of Mind
  28. Study Finds Exam Pressure To Be The Cause of Mental Health Problems In Pupils
  29. University’s Research into Mental Health Treatment Goes Deeper