Which Degree Subject is Most Likely to Make You a Billionaire?

0

You may know Go Compare best as the comparison website with annoying opera singer in the adverts. However, the website is dipping into Forbes’ territory and has produced a list of billionaires – by country, degree, age, gender and more. 

Unsurprisingly, Engineering tops the list with the highest number of billionaires – with a total of 48 billionaires with engineering degrees. Coming in closely behind engineering is business and economics, with 74 billionaires between them.

Billionaires’ League by Gocompare

1. Engineering – 48
  2. Business – 38
  3. Economics – 36
  4. Law – 15
  5. Science-based i.e. physics and chemistry – 8
  6. History – 7
  7. Computer-based i.e. engineering or science – 6
  8. Commerce – 5
  9. Mathematics – 5
  10. Philosophy – 4

However, there are less than 2,000 billionaires in the whole world   – around a quarter of all of them received no higher education at all or dropped out of University.

Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates both dropped out of Harvard. The world’s richest self-made woman, Elizabeth Holmes is also a drop out of Stanford University.

The number of female billionaires remained stable throughout the crash and actually increased by 33% (from nine to 12) in the seven years following the crisis. The world’s richest woman is Christy Walton – who inherited the Walmart fortune.

In terms of institutions, Harvard University produced the most billionaire alumni (20), Moscow State University came in second (11) and Pennsylvania University came in third (6). LSE produced the most billionaires of all British Universities – producing two over the the last 20 years, George Soros (worth approximately £17.75 billion) and Spiros Latsis (worth approximately £1.41 billion).

No Southampton graduates have become billionaires, yet.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.