#MacFest Tribute Festival For Local Involved In Fatal Car Accident Gets Support From Major Artists

0

A tribute festival, named as #macfest, is being put together in memory of ‘local treasure’ 20 year old Macaulay ‘Mac’ Campbell, who passed away in a tragic car accident in Romsey, last Saturday. The festival has gained support of major artists, including Craig David, Stormzy, Rob Da Bank and Artful Dodger.

12733359_10153497101457057_2839460239940978925_n

Macaulay Campbell was a keen rugby player for Romsey and apprentice at Southampton commercial vehicle firm Sparks, he was described as having ‘a great future ahead of him’.

Great 75-7 win Saturday! Up the Romsey 🏉

A photo posted by Mac Campbell (@mac_campbell95) on

Social media has erupted with messages of condolence in response to the fatal car accident on the A3057 in Romsey. Thousands of tributes have been made to support family and friends of the young rugby player.

In light of the devastating news, Mac’s long term girlfriend, University of Winchester student, Fleur Gollogly, along with close family and friends, have masterminded a tribute festival #macfest which would be headlined by all of Mac’s favourite artists. Fleur took to twitter to pitch #macfest to the hopeful headliner, Craig David.

The #macfest movement has overwhelmingly caught attention nationwide, gaining recognition from some of the biggest names in the UK music scene. As well as getting a boost from Southampton Alumni and Radio 1 DJ Chris Stark, and the cast of Geordie Shore.

Southampton Football Club have also shown support, and his story and photos will be shown at halftime at the Southampton-Chelsea game tomorrow.

This morning, Craig David himself finally acknowledged the #macfest movement after a show in Paris last night.

Mac’s brother, Sam Campbell, has set up a JustGiving page, with the intention of giving Mac the send off that he truly deserves. The £5,000 target was smashed within two hours, and has currently raised almost £15,000.

One of Mac’s friends’ hailed this fundraising effort as ‘awe-inspiring’, and added, ‘I’m sure the amount raised with only rise as this heart-wrenching story takes the nation by storm’.

I can't even begin to process the thought of you being gone. I need to wake up from this horrible nightmare. I absolutely adored you Mac. I don't know how I'm going to live my life without you by my side. We had so much planned for our life together. You made me the happiest I have ever been. Last night I saw how much of an impact you had on so many lives with your beautiful personality…and how gorgeous you are. I feel so incredibly lucky to have met you and for both of us to call one another mine. I will never forget you baby. I could really do with a Mac cuddle right now 🙁 See you up there one day. You will always be in my heart and I will love you forever. Your friends and family are my rock now. Yours forever kush mursh ❤️

A photo posted by @fleur_gollogly on

The #macfest pre party will take place on Saturday 2nd April at Switch in Southampton, whilst the exact time, date and venue for the #macfest festival is yet to be confirmed, but is rumoured to be taking place in July.

If you want to show support for #macfest you can via twitter: #macfest @macfest2016 and any donations to the Mac Campbell Fund would be gratefully received: https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/Mac-Campbell-Fund?utm_id=2