Help One Southampton Student Tackle Poverty in Ghana

0

A third-year Politics and Economics student, Vivien Kizilcec, is travelling to Ghana in June to help tackle poverty and build up the local community. 

She needs your help to raise money, and has lots of fundraising plans, including running the Southampton Half Marathon in two weeks time.

Vivien is travelling with ICS, a company that allows young people aged 18-25 to contribute to long-term development projects in countries like Nepal, Tanzania and Nicaragua. The scheme offers young people the chance to develop personally on projects that value to communities around the world. When they’re back in the UK, ICS volunteers undertake an ‘Action at Home’ project, ensuring that their new skills also benefit their local communities.

Speaking exclusively to Wessex Scene, Vivien said

My fundraising efforts aim to make sure developing countries can continue to benefit from the work of future volunteers, so it’s vital I reach my target.  I have been training a lot over the last weeks in order to be able to run this half marathon and I hope everyone can spare a bit of money as a result to support such a good cause. The project I’m working on is run by the development charity, Challenges Worldwide, which aims to support entrepreneurs and enterprises, helping them grow their businesses to generate income, sustainable economic growth and alleviate poverty. This is a unique opportunity to work alongside people from a different culture who have requested help from young volunteers to fight poverty and make a difference where it’s needed most. I’m really excited to get out there.

Vivien will also be holding some events throughout the year, such as a movie screening and bake sales, like her Facebook page for updates.  To sponsor Vivien, you can visit her JustGiving page or text VIVI83 and the amount you are willing to contribute to 70070.

Editor 2015-16. Politics Editor 2014-15. Third year Politics and Economics student, I've written for every section but primarily write politics, opinion and news pieces. I also write for The Edge, Kettle Mag, The National Student, The Student Times and the Independent and do lots of work with Surge Radio.