The Return of Common People is a Great Boost to Southampton’s Economy

0

This upcoming weekend marks the return of Common People, after last year’s triumphant inaugural event, which featured artists such as Fatboy Slim, Clean Bandit and Grace Jones.

The two-day event, which had an attendance of approximately 35,000, brought in an estimated £1 million to the local economy, with Southampton City Council amongst those who were clamouring for the event’s return, primarily due to the positive economic effect it has had on the city.

11265520_886683448040581_3905237414558845371_n

The organiser, Rob Da Bank, said of last year’s event that ‘It was a great success from all sides – we achieved what we set out to do and Southampton didn’t grind to a halt or end up in disarray!’

With approximately 29% of visitors coming to the festival from outside the area, with many staying in local hotels, the festival was a huge success for all involved.

Despite the Common People name expanding this year to include a festival in Oxford, the format of this year’s festival is not changing, with the Bank Holiday dates and the Park & Ride transport system working well.

Here’s hoping that this year’s expanded event will be bigger, better and bring even more economic benefits to Southampton – and you can get your tickets here, or enter our competition to win two free tickets here!

Deputy Editor of the Wessex Scene for 2015/16. I often write News, Politics and Opinion pieces. As well as writing for the Scene I can be found in the Surge Radio studio, where I am the Head of News. Also, as I'm new to twitter and desperate, follow me!! @95moliver