Approximately 264 Tonnes of Items Sent To Landfill In 2015

0

After receiving a response to a Freedom of Information request to Southampton City Council, Wessex Scene has learned that around 264 tonnes of Southampton items ended up in landfill in 2015, whilst only 4 tonnes were diverted to reuse.

Southampton provides a chargeable bulky collection service, that allows residents to get rid of large household items which can’t be disposed of through domestic waste collections, allowing large amounts of bulky waste to go into landfill. It was also revealed that the council do not monitor the condition of these items upon collection, meaning that some of these items may be suitable for reuse.

The response did draw attention to the information available on their website which makes residents aware of other ways of disposing of bulky items. For example they promote charities such as Scratch, Sue Ryder, Oxfam, British Heart Foundation, as well as textile recycling.There is a recycling A-Z on the Council’s website.

However, the Council claims to be tackling the problem of landfill more directly, by working with authorities across Hampshire, universities (at the end of the academic year) and charities to divert bulky waste from landfill. Through these means, Southampton City Council has diverted four tonnes of items from landfill.

A Hampshire furniture reuse scheme is being developed as part of an externally funded project.

On the bright side, Enactus Southampton is directly tackling this problem, with Project Innovation teams working with local charities and the council to set up projects to divert more bulky waste from landfill.

If you would like to read this FOI response in full, it should have been made available on the Council’s disclosure log on the Southampton City Council website.

Contains public sector information licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0.

Former Opinion Editor for Wessex Scene and enthusiastic English student. Advocate of social justice, creativity and treating yourself. First and foremost an Opinion writer but I like to dabble.